Letrozole tablet concerns???

Hello, I am her2 menopausal. Had lumpectomy surgery, 17 chemos and radio. My oncologist wants to start me on Letrozole tablets next. I'm worried about getting osteoporosis?!  I suffered a fair amount of joint soreness thru my final chemos.  Anyone else take letrozole and get joint or bone side effects from them??? 

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Welcome @KarenY
    If you pop 'letrozole' in the search bar you will see there are a few posts on this subject.  Ladies who have been prescribed it will be sure to give you some assistance.
    All the best.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I’ve been taking Letrozole for seven years. I have no joint pain or aches at all but it has had an effect on my bone density. I am now nearly 75 so some of this may be natural but my bone density at 68 was extremely good (levels expected in a 35 year old according to my oncologist) so Letrozole has had an effect. You would certainly be wise to have a bone density test before you start, if you haven’t already done so. I am having an annual test tomorrow so we’ll see how we go. I have no osteoporosis but osteopoenic patches, which fluctuate a bit (were actually improved last test). Unfortunately research doesn’t say if 7 or 8 years is better than 5, just that 10 is better than 5. Bone density impact seems fairly common but joint pain does seem to vary enormously so you may not know about that till you have been on a it a while. Some also find Letrozole vacations (going off for a month or so) can help. Best wishes. 
  • KarenY
    KarenY Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank so much for your detailed response. I'm 54 and certainly don't want to be dealing with bone issues. But that weighed against any thoughts of cancer return.... it's a tough decision to start tablets. 
  • KarenY
    Oh and the very best for your testing tomo!!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi @KarenY. I've been on Letrozole for two years. I had a bone density scan before I started and next month I'll be having another. It will be interesting to see if there's any change. Perhaps ask your oncologist to send you for a baseline scan, and then you will at least know your starting point. K xox
  • KarenY

kmakm said:

Hi @KarenY. I've been on Letrozole for two years. I had a bone density scan before I started and next month I'll be having another. It will be interesting to see if there's any change. Perhaps ask your oncologist to send you for a baseline scan, and then you will at least know your starting point. K xox

Hello... Thanks for that. Could you please let me know how u go? Have you had any other side effects thru 2 years?  

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Many thanks! Remember, you can always stop if the side effects are too bad. Or try another brand or similar medication. There are some options. I did as recommended right through treatment - I trust my surgeon and oncologist and have no reason to regret the decisions made. But if I had chronic pain or other really awful side effects, it would be a different story. The ones I have are very manageable. I work on the basis that I didn’t get through cancer only to
    be crippled by pain! Unfortunately theses are very personal decisions so best to know how you react, not someone else, so you can make the best decision for you. Good luck! 

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Will do Karen.

I have had and continue to have many many side effects. However my experience is in no way indicative of yours. We are all different, and some people have few to no side effects. It can often depend on whether you've gone through menopause or not. The best thing to do is to take it and see. Some report side effects settling down after six months. Ultimately the choice is yours, but you've got lots to gain by trying so give it a go. K xox
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    KarenY ,
    I too am 54 and about to switch from Tamoxifen to Letrozole - and monthly Zoladex injections to shut down my ovaries. My short experience with Tamoxifen taught me that some side effects, although difficult at the time, diminish as your body gets used to the drug. I have read that Letrozole has fewer side effects than Tamoxifen. I am prepared to endure temporary issues if there is light at the end of the tunnel, so I am approaching this new regimen relatively calmly. I had breast and pelvic ultrasounds today, and will be having a blood test and bone density scan before starting Letrozole. I imagine your oncologist will want to establish baseline information too. My 'new normal' isn't much fun. I just want it all to settle down. I want to get on with my life without constant reminders and appointments. The mental energy spent on f-ing BC is too much.
    :/ 
  • Ahnn
    Ahnn Member Posts: 42
    Best wishes @KarenY for your treatment.  I have been on letrozole since October 2019. I have had very little joint pain although one ankle is a little stiff in the morning. Like others i had a bone scan before commencing treatment which showed osteopenia probably as I'm post menopausal for at least 5 years. I take vitamin d and calcium on a daily basis and prolia injection every six months to reduce osteoporosis risk. The only side effect i do struggle with is vaginal dryness and libido issues which are also manageable 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I would echo the others.  I have had pretty severe side effects with joint and muscle pain, as well as vaginal dryness but I am doing my best to stay on it.  However, you may have very little in the way of side effects.  My suggestion is to go into it with that assumption.  But if your oncologist doesn't send you for a bone density test, request one as a baseline.  I am due for a scan soon so will be able to make the comparison from 2 years ago.