Osteoporosis at 42

Options
jintie
jintie Member Posts: 114
I’ve just been diagnosed with osteoporosis (my T score is -2.9) and I’m 42.  I was diagnosed with BC in July last year... I’m NED and on Zoladex and Exemastane.  This is something I was not expecting.
I think I’m going to stop anti-cancer treatment.  I don’t want my T score to drop any further.

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Talk to your oncologist. You could have some bone strengthening treatments. You could have a spell off the current meds or even have those ones changed. Even off all meds you will still need to keep an eye off that osteo and make sure nothing else nasty develops in the future.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Agree you need to talk to your Oncologist. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    There is treatment for it and it can be managed so you can remain on treatment. 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Have a chat with your doctor, they'll work it out.  I was diagnosed with osteopenia last year at 53, its the step before osteoporosis apparently. I have to take an extra vitamin d tablet and do weight bearing exercise and they'll keep an eye on it.  
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options

I am osteoporotic and on Letrozole which thins bones like all aromatasee inhibitors including Exemestane aka Aromasin .Every 6 months I have a Prolia injection which countersthis effect.There are also other treatments called bisphosphonate tablets .It can be managed.

I have been on hormone therapy 2 and a half years and will continue as I have Er+ breast cancer and am told this therapy will significantly reduce my risk of recurrence.

I understand your worry because of all the treatments I have had for breast cancer this treatment was my greatest dread.Thus far I have managed ok .
  • Katy_Sodapop
    Katy_Sodapop Member Posts: 50
    Options

jintie said:

I’ve just been diagnosed with osteoporosis (my T score is -2.9) and I’m 42.  I was diagnosed with BC in July last year... I’m NED and on Zoladex and Exemastane.  This is something I was not expecting.
    I think I’m going to stop anti-cancer treatment.  I don’t want my T score to drop any further.

Oh I hear you...I'm sorry to hear this. I am also in the same boat. I was having 6 monthly infusions called Zometa. I had it done in the oncology department. It stabilized my bones but now I've gone onto Tamoxifen to help keep them stable and not deteriorate any further. It's catch 22, you want to keep living but it's not fun if you can't do anything. 
  • Adri
    Adri Member Posts: 12
    Options
    What did you end up doing jintie? I am having to make same decision have been told I have Osteopenia.
    Need to decided Prolia or Zometa. Or nothing, started taking vitamin D3 Calcuim and Vitamin K2 with MK7 and  weight bearing exercises.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My osteopenia has improved. I had a big stop post chemo and it was just post menopause. 1st year was stable. 2 years on improvement. I take castrate plus and weight bearing exercise...swinging kettlebells I think might have helped. Anyways it's not worse so all good.