Interrupting hormone therapy to conceive

PinkcloverssPinkcloverss SydneyMember Posts: 38
Hi everyone

This topic has been weighing heavily on my mind. Has anyone stopped HT to conceive either naturally or thru IVF? If so how long did you stop for?

Comments

• InkPetalInkPetal You are valuable, beautiful, extraordinary.Member Posts: 502
    Hello - I'm sorry I've been neglecting this forum. Did you post on main to get an answer from others?

I cut HT and conceived naturally but miscarried a month ago at 14 weeks and we can't try again for another month. I don't know how I'm faring medically, I haven't been for a check-up with my oncologist yet but there are no outward or textural signs of growth so for the time being I'm confident.

I think a lot of us who don't have but want children struggle with this. By the time the five year period is over we're - well, five years older.
  • CRMCRM MelbourneMember Posts: 30
    @InkPetal I am so sorry that you miscarried - you will be one strong Mum when you get there!

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on HT before stopping? I am newly diagnosed and my results yesterday were very positive (Stage 1, Grade 2, ER+).  I know I should feel incredibly lucky but at 32 I am now facing years of Tamoxifen.  My partner and I wanted to start a family next year and now it feels like it could be a long way away.  It's not so bad for me but he is 46.  It feels like even the best cancer results are still a bit shit... 
  • PinkcloverssPinkcloverss SydneyMember Posts: 38
    @InkPetal I was told that if I were to come off tamoxifen ideally I should be on it for at least 2 years before trying to conceive (whilst accepting the potential risks in doing so)