Breast Cancer and Ulcerative Proctitis

Options
Is there anyone else like me here?

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis, a mild form of Infammatory Bowel Disease about 3 months after I finished radiation and started Letrozole. I was relieved in one way as I thought that I had colon cancer. But UP can be ugly and has sadly continued my year of bad health. 😫

I think that something in my breast cancer treatment has caused or triggered this disease but my gastroenterologist and radiation oncologist say they are not linked. I am aware that the causes are not clear, with genetics, stress, medications and environment as those that are thought to be the main causes.

I am being medicated with ( fun) daily suppositories and enemas and some improvement occurring.

So just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me and perhaps we can share the journey a bit. 🤗

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I haven't got this @Suzan57 but I hope it clears for you soon.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Suzan57 I don’t have this either but can still offer you support. The effect of this disease and the treatments side effects will never be fully realised I don’t think. A lot of us have heard a medico tell us something is not related to the BC or it’s treatment but listen to your body. You may not have the training but that doesn’t mean you are wrong. Medical research is having to reverse decisions frequently. Big hugs.
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    @Suzan57 i don't have this either but i had Crohn's disease many years ago ending up with an op to remove the affected area. We never knew why i got it, we'd never even heard of it! The first year was the worst. I was 20. I'm now in my mid 50s. Whilst i did have it i found that stress did play a large factor in the pain stakes and it has also left me with a fructose malabsorption issue. As for the Crohn's,  it never came back but i was one of the lucky ones as the op is not always a success.
    Best of luck cos it really is a pain in the butt...yes...pun intended!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I developed lactose intolerance following chemo so had huge bowel issues until it was finally diagnosed. 
  • Suzan57
    Suzan57 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks Blossom.💕 I really appreciate your support and understanding. That’s true about listening to your body! When I first had breast cancer symptoms I researched and found that Pagets breast cancer matched but my doctor said no, it was too rare. But that’s what it ended up being. This is a case where I wished I had as wrong! Take care and big hugs to you on your journey. 
  • Suzan57
    Suzan57 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    @Artferret thanks. Your story is positive and I hope all goes well for you too. Thanks  @primek I am on lactose free and I think this is helping me a lot. Thanks @Sister I appreciate your support. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Suzan57 Yes, I told my onco about a side effect she said couldn’t be even though my research said it was. I wish I had been wrong too. But I was right. Any research you do, make sure it is from a reputable source. You don’t need to be panicked unnecessarily. Hugs.