A hugely challenging experience

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Breast Cancer surgery - the gift that keeps on giving.

Comments

• relign
    relign Member Posts: 5
    Options
    ello, one day to a dr, with a hard mass and sore throat and a hole in arm that never healed and got bigger, next a dr only treating one problem via a breast scan, went to my daughters gp, many referrals, many tests, in monday boob off, out tuesday, another dr on friday in monday half toungue removed, throat cut ear to ear, arm big scar, other arm in brace, nose tube etc etc, meant to be in a week was there two months, 3/4 of teeth removed, the rest removed for rad treatment, only to be told after last of teeth removed to go see dr, who also explained i had an inoperable brain tumor....., so you can see I am just starting to cope with the first op
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    hi @relign
    what a huge experience I am so sorry that you have been through this .. Relign I have also inboxed you with our helpful links etc to understand the forum. 

@Giovanna_BCNA
    Could you possibly make the above a separate post for relign so she can get responses regarding what she has shared. 

• Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hello and welcome @relign. I have split the discussion to aid responses as @SoldierCrab suggested. It sounds like you have had a very difficult few months. Please don't hesitate to call the BCNA Helpline to talk to a cancer nurse for information and support on 1800 500 258 
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Hi @relign
    what a huge challenging experience. Can’t even begin to comprehend what you’ve been through but as a nurse I’ve helped many through similar experiences and have seen how hard it is to expect a short stay and be kept there much longer. 
    Keep strong we are thinking of you xx
  • relign
    Options
    Thankyou
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Can't imagine for one moment trying to cope with all that has hit you at present.
    One step at a time 
    Please update us as you go along as we are all willing you to best outcome possible from treatment 
    Take care 
  • relign
    Options
    I,m doing oki, next app is april29th, two oncologist, one boob, one mouth, I,m good, just still in pain, can,t eat solid food, and why am I walking lopsided! hahha

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    A little bit of humour helps!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    Given what you've been through - your attitude is just amazing, @relign  -  all the best for your appointments with the Oncs .... I hope the pain subsides & you are able to eat solid food soon.    

When my husband was ill & unable to take solid food, I used to make 'smoothies' out of 'anything'!   A currie (with extra gravy/sauce) could be pulverised into a liquid & just swallowed.  I used to do the same to Roast Lamb & mint sauce & veg & many other dishes .... I would smash them to a liquid (so he gets the flavour of the food), just not the texture, until he was able to get onto solids.  Be adventurous with your food - I also used to 'value add' custard and cream to an old fashioned Egg Flip & other 'puddings', to add some 'depth' to it ... and some calories. Rice Pudding & peaches pulverised together is LOVELY too.  I hope you don't lose too much weight whilst on the liquid diet.

Take care xxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi @relign.
    Such a lot to take in a very shirt time. Did you have breast cancer before this diagnosis?

Have you been linked with a breast care nurse and have you been sent the package from bcna?

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/hope-hurdles/

Also there is a specific group which might also be helpful.

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/2-living-with-metastatic-breast-cancer

@System or @Giovanna_BCNA am wondering if this should actually be  in newly diagnosed tag or most likely metastatic cancer tag  now.

Thinking of you. We are here to help any way we can. Kath x

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @relign sending you a private message.

Thanks @primek will clarify with relign.
  • relign
    Options
    thankyou everyone, nice to be able to talk about it, with people who have walked this path before, and I,m thinking that boob fed three children, was loved and touched, but its just a boob, not a leg or arm, its removal does not define me, well I,m telling myself that smilez

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @relign Certainly initially we can be dismissive of the loss of a boob...just a boob is a common saying. However it is amputation of  not only a functional organ but a sexual one. Yes...life may not seem affected without it. But for most women...once the dust has settled and the inital horrific time of diagnosis and aggressive treatment has past...grief of that loss sneaks up. It's okay to grieve when that time comes.  It's not being shallow, its just part of the many adjustments we have to make following breast cancer diagnosis, and given your current treatment you have a lot of adjustments to make to the changes in your body. Take care. Kath x
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    So true @primek It took three months after the mx before the loss hit me. My head isn’t really getting around it. It sounds weird, but I am left confused about it.
  • Lynn65
    Lynn65 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi @relign, you are having such a very challenging time of it, and I am awed by your ability to still find some humor in it all.  Hugs to you.