Joint pain after treatment has ended

Options
Jrcn
Jrcn Member Posts: 16
Hi lovely ladies,

I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced joint/bone pain once your treatment has ended?
I finished Chemo 6 months ago and at night experience pain particularly in my hips and down one leg. Its not there all the time. I am taking Exemestane tablets which I am unsure if they are the cause.

Thank you in advance xx

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Hi @Jrcn. Hate to tell you, but it probably is the exemestane.

Having said that, if you're concerned, maybe go & see your GP.
    I do have chronic aches and pains, was on letrozole to start with, then changed to exemestane with no real benefit. I figure it's just the way it is. I'll get to the 5 year mark and discuss with my med onc the relative risks & benefits before I'm convinced that I need to take it for any longer
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I think that's pretty common @Jrcn Many of us struggle with a variety of new aches and pains post chemo which seem to feed off each other. Sore feet lead to sore knees lead to sore hips. 
    Following my second chemo experience in a decade, I was at the point of despair; I seriously thought I would be crippled for life and never move properly again. Just over two years later, most of my issues have either resolved or become manageable. I had no trouble at all after my first chemo experience in 2006 so I guess that shows how variable experiences can be. Keep moving if you can, that definitely seems to help. Mxx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @arpie might be able to help as she takes Exemestane tablets.

I think all of us on hormone therapy experience joint/ bone pain with possibly those who have had chemo previously seemingly having a harder time.

There are things we can suggest to alleviate it a little.I have taken Krill oil tablets from the beginning as well as 6 monthly Prolia injections and Vitamin D3.I started with osteoporosis and an osteoporotic fracture .My joint problems improved after a few months of starting the day like I was 90.I also pushed thru it by daily one hour walks since the start.Movement definitely helped.

I expect others will join in and provide their thoughts and suggestions.I tend to think joint  / bone problems from the drugs may attack areas where we have preexisting issues.

I take Letrozole.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Hi @Jrcn  - I too have had joint pain with both Letrozole and Exemestane (been on it for about 5 months now) - but mainly in my hands/thumb just now.  I often wake up during the night in pain.

Sadly, joint pain is quite common with a lot of the hormone tablets.  Mine has lessened in the last couple of weeks - but was badly affected on the weekend when I was fishing & got caught out in a big storm.

Have you had a bone scan at all since your diagnosis?  If you haven't, It might be worth mentioning this to both your GP and your Onc ..... any unexplained pain for longer than a few weeks/month or so - should really get checked out.

My mantra is "IF IN DOUBT, GET CHECKED OUT''

All the best xx

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Btw pain travelling down your leg can be referred pain like sciatica. @arpie is right get it checked out.
  • Jrcn
    Options
    Thank you every one for your advice. I am on Zometa as well. Thinking it is a combination of things.
     Thanks @arpie I had a Bone scan done when I was first diagnosed, but that is all. Thanks also @Zoffiel I do 'try' to exercise, if I am able to, I walk 3 times a week and try to fit some weights in. It is challenging with work, kids and their sport commitments!
    I really appreciate everyone's advice, this is such a great site to come to when you feel know else understands.
    xxxx
  • Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi Jrcn

I have pains down my left hip but I know it's the Met , the tamoxifen doesn't help , neither does the chemo, but as much as I hate to say keep moving even if it's at a snails pace.

I used to walk around the soccer field while my kids had their training session, kill 2 birds with one stone, maybe there is some laps you can came up with.( I started by myself by the end of season most of the soccer Mums had joined in going around in circles ) 

I also have an exercise bike at home , that I can do while watching TV.

Good luck
  • Jrcn
    Options
    Thanks Silba you understand exactly what I am saying. That would have been great having the other soccer mums join you! Yes I do try to keep moving sometimes I wonder if it makes it worse :( 
     I hope you are going ok, one day at a time.

xxx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Mine is has settled down big time - nowhere near as bad as it was even 1-2 months ago - just my hands, mainly (the one bit I NEED more than anything!)  grr