Introduction

Kouia55
Kouia55 Member Posts: 11
edited October 2011 in General discussion

Hello every-one,

My name is Robyn, I am 56 yrs old and live in Caboolture QLD with my horse and dog.  I am lucky to have a great group of family and friends - unfortunately many of them also live interstate.

3 yrs ago, I was diagnosed with CLL (a mild form of Leukemia that lowers the immune system and is usually found in people over the age of 60 - mainly in men), then on 31 Aug 2011, I was also diagnosed with BC and on 28 Sep 2011, I had a bi-lateral mastectomy due to 2 large lumps in my LB.   My RB was removed for several reasons, not just to minimise the possibility of re-occurrence.  The reports I have been given indicate that there were no BC cells in any of the nodes and that the margins are clear, but they also indicate that the tumours were Grade 3 TNBC.

My surgeon has recommended both chemo and radiation, and I feel this will pose an interesting challenge to the Oncologist - especially combined with the CLL.  At least he will be working in with my haematologist as they are in the same practice. I do not yet have any dates for when treatment will commence, but figure it will be in the next few weeks.  Not something I am looking forward to, but know it has to be done.

I know that I have no control over the BC - what I do have control  over is how I deal with it and I have every intention of fighting this with every-thing I can.  Doesn't stop me from being scared out of my tree though.

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015

Words cannot describe how you might be feeling - what a blow! Often it's the other way round - BC followed by secondary. Welcome to this wonderful site. The people here have many wide and varying journeys so please ask anything. I too am new to all this having been diagnosed with BC in May and about to start my second 3 months of chemo then radiotherapy. It's a long haul but you will get through. Stay positive - sometimes it's hard! Draw on the strength of you family and friends. Like you I also have family interstate( all in fact!)but some great friends here.

Take care and if I can be of any help please ask.

Your pink sister in arms

Alison xx

• Kouia55
    Kouia55 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015

Thanks Alison,

I intend to fight this monster come rain, hail or shine.  So far, since my diagnosis on 31/08 I have had 1 meltdown which lasted a couple of hours (the morning after meeting my surgeon for the first time) and 1 cave bear day (I still had drains in and was staying at my sister's) where I didn't get out of my PJ's - just couldn't be bothered.  Just sat in a chair and watched TV or more to the point I stared at the TV as I have no idea what was on.

I now have dates re chemo with a portacath being inserted next Friday (28/10) and my 1st chemo session scheduled for Mon 31/10.  I certainly have mixed feelings about chemo as we hear so many stories - but I also know that no two people react the same.  Fortunately my Oncologist is in the same practice as my Haematologist so they will be able to consult with each other easily, so that both conditions can be considered when prescribing treatment/s.

How I am dealing with this is pretty much the way I deal with every-thing and that is to ask myself the questions - Is this something I can control? / What are my options? / What can I control?.  As far as my medical conditions are concerned, I have no control over them, My options involve what treatment is available. and I can control what treatments I decide to have and how I choose to react emotionally.  I have decided to laugh my way through it as much as I can.

I was able to drive again for the first time yesterday and it was great having some independence back.  The Dr didn't want me driving earlier as I have a manual 4wd.  I was even able to feed my horse by myself.  Tonight, I even get to sleep in my own bed for the first time in 3 weeks as I have been staying with friends and family since my surgery.  I wanted to come home before this, but they wouldn't let me, so I packed my car and ran away this morning.  Now I feel like a naughty schoolgirl waiting for the truant officer to turn up and take me back.

It is strange how such small things can bring such great enjoyment.

I know there will be times when it won't be a good idea to stay at home by myself, and that is when I will be more than happy for their hospitality, but right now I need to find my "new normality" and learn what I can and cannot do for myself.

If you are ever in the Caboolture QLD area, I would love to meet you as I now find myself wanting to meet people who are going or have been on this "journey", because while my friends and family are great, I don't think they have the same level of understanding.  I intend contacting a local support group and meeting with them if I can and I figure I will meet people when I start chemo soon as well.

In the meantime, don't let the things you cannot control get you down and laugh as much as you can.

Robyn