Hospital Bag - What to pack?

Jodles
Jodles Member Posts: 16
edited November 2019 in General discussion
Hello ladies. I’m starting to sort out what I will need to pack for surgery and was wondering what you all found helped you whilst in hospital? I’ve been told to have button up tops as I won’t be putting on T-shirt’s. Any other helpful pointers please? Thank you xxx 💖
Tagged:

Comments

• pammiesyd
    pammiesyd Member Posts: 69
    I was in hospital at this time of year, and I found the aircon uncomfortably cold. I suggest taking some warm top as well. I also unexpectedly had to spend an extra 3 days in hospital. So be prepared for changes to plans. Good luck.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I found a dressing gown with pockets handy to put drains in! Beyond that, I didn't take much. If you are at all fussy about tea or coffee, take tea/coffee bags, no hospital was ever renowned for its tea or coffee! Normal toiletries, slippers, phone and things to pass the time - whatever you prefer, I worked my way through a very large book. Best wishes.
  • Jodles
    Thanks. I’ve been given an information sheet on here with what to pack but was wondering if there are any other things that help. Thank you for your suggestions! I’ll add them on 😊
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    IF you are taking phone or Tablet remember an extension cord to reach the power plug.... 
  • Jodles
    Thanks! Will do xxx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Sister
      had a great what to take resource I believe. 

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Definitely a shawl or wrap of some sort. My hospital room was freezing. Your charger and the longest phone/tablet charging cord you have. Sometimes the plug is far away. Slip on shoes, no laces, something that can go outside if you fancy a longer walk than round the ward. Your own drink bottle so you don't have to faff about with jugs and dinky cups, esp in the middle of the night. And if you're pillow fussy, your own pillow! Best of luck, K xox
  • Jodles
    Thanks ladies! It’s all helping 😊
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    edited December 2018
    @jodles

Here's a great link 
    What to pack for hospital

https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Even though I was only in overnight I took extra underwear, just in case..
    put an extra pillow in your car, so when you’re collected you have extra cushioning, I had an hours drive home from hospital,so that was a god send for me just to support my arm, even with the little horseshoe pillow they give you.
    whilst in hospital I asked for an extra pillow to put under my arm whilst I slept.
    Any idea how long are you in hospital for?
    Hope all goes well.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Bendy straws,easier for sipping without having to sit up completely. I took a light pashmina shawl as the air conditioning can be a bit chilly. Lollies for sucking such as Werthers, mints etc. I found my kindle easier to read in bed instead of trying to hold a book. Also able to read lying on my side without my glasses, so the side of my head didn't get tender...just increased the font size. Slippers that just slip on without you having to bend down and use your finger to lift the back of the slipper onto your foot. I fancied a bottle of Bickford's Lime cordial as the bottled water dispensed is at room temperature and ugghhh when not cold.  I (of course) took my knitting as well. Ear plugs if you can tolerate them...the banging of doors, buzzing of bells, clack clack of inconsiderate staff's shoes. yakking in the corridors and so on is unbelievable!! Dark eye mask to block out corridor and night lights...also the glowing of lights on IV monitors. Best of luck xoxo.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Don't forget all your chargers for phone, iPad, computer, etc .... and a USB/240v plug to accomodate them all!

All the best xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Take some face wipes as if you're like me, your face will always feel greasy in hospital.  If your hospital has a garden attached, take a dressing gown you feel comfortable being seen in and some easy footwear for wearing outside - it's so much better to take your obligatory walks outside than to pace the corridors (get permission from your surgeon).  And something to drink that's not hospital tea or coffee.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I always take a thermos mug. I have a tendency to wander around the wards at night searching for cups of tea, and a decent mug means you can take a hot cuppa back to bed or you can send a visitor down the café to get a proper coffee that will stay hot for long enough for you to enjoy it.
  • Jodles
    Thank you ladies for all
    your help. 😊💖