Reconstruction

Options
Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
edited December 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I had a look at this link from the Can at 40 fb site https://blog.thebreastcancersite.greatergood.com/mirelys-scars/?fbclid=IwAR2Zx8FzD_MsNNiwxIHMbSSqDaWk1_W1LWWa1cZNez_7H7qjkGUq_4571XE and something struck me.  As some of you know, I'm still undecided about reconstruction and I do believe that it's a very personal choice.  During the last year, I keep tripping over statements about how the US leads the way in reconstruction as the number of women going down this path far exceeds the number of Australian women who do.  This always seems to infer that it is due to inadequacies in the health system and that may well be the case.  However, this article seems to suggest that women are being pushed into having reconstruction in the US - whether this is because of monetary returns, or a lack of acceptance of different body shape, I'm not sure.  I'm not trying to open the proverbial can nor am I criticising anyone's choice to go down that path but I did think it was interesting.
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    In some medical circles, and probably with very good intentions, there's a view that the loss of a breast is a whole different (much, much worse) level for all women than say loss of part of the bowel due to cancer. For many women that may be true. I had the impression when diagnosed that I would be in the minority if I did not have reconstruction but that of course is not the case. I didn't feel that way - I actually felt lucky that the affected part of me was one I was not currently "using" or likely to use in the future rather than an internal organ (or my brain). It's a highly individual response. It may not be that women are pushed into reconstruction, but maybe that increasing numbers in the US accept the conventional wisdom (reconstruction minimises loss, which is true for many) rather than pushing for what they think is comfortable for themselves.