Using social media for breast cancer advocacy

Options
traveltext
traveltext Member Posts: 253
edited November 2018 in General discussion
I'm advocating for men with breast cancer, but much of the information in this article is useful for those here looking to spread their messages beyond the pages here:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @traveltext keep up the great work. I think promoting men’s health is a really important issue too, especially breast cancer. I recently contacted a person who makes podcasts about avoiding the use of ‘suffering’ when referring to people with cancer. This was mentioned on the podcast.

I think this is an excellent forum for promoting this issue. It’s about education and you get a lot of reach through social media. I think BCNA needs to start a podcast with cancer related issues, such as men’s   health, women’s health employment and cancer prevention. I know I’d listen to it! All the best with promoting this issue.   
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    Great post, @traveltext  .... perhaps get the Mods to add “men’s BC” to the title, so other guys can spot it more easily?

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Rose18
    Along with the word "sufferer" I would like the media to discontinue using 
    "..............cancer victim" ( insert type of cancer)
    "Battling................cancer" (insert type of cancer)

These words tend to conjure up images of "poor me". 

Although "undergoing treatment" is perhaps not seen in as a melodramatic light and therefore the dollars do not come rolling in for whatever charity the media is supporting.

@traveltext
    Please continue to advocate men's health. Whatever method works in getting out the message.  If it raises awareness for one person is worth the effort. 
  • traveltext
    Options

arpie said:

Great post, @traveltext  .... perhaps get the Mods to add “men’s BC” to the title, so other guys can spot it more easily?

Thanks @arpie I'd say change it to: Using social media for breast cancer advocacy. 

Times are changing and much of the discussion on breast cancer has moved to social media, particularly on closed Facebook pages where patients are gathering to share their stories and experiences. BCNA uses social media, I can see.

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    In light of the above @traveltext in addition to contributing on the general blog page would it be useful to have a blokes group on the blog.I only suggest this as they maybe some matters concerning male bc people that they may feel more comfortable in a private space ? I do however reaffirm my first comment about still participating in the general blog.Just a thought as there is a topic  or two I’d rather share with a female plus may help a newbie bloke find the confidence to join the blog initially.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I second that @Romla.
  • Romla
    Options
    @traveltext also as male members on the blog are relatively small it might make it easier for new male members to find another male member 
  • traveltext
    Options

@Romla @kmakm I hear you loud and clear. Yes, men will talk to other men when they know it's private. I find this since I'm on a prostate cancer FB page and men go on about anything and everything (mostly about sex or the inability to have it after a prostatectomy) to each other. I've noticed over the past four year, also, that very few men publicly chat about their breast cancer. The ones that do end up here:

https://malebreastcancercoalition.org/survivor-stories/

Interestingly, 10 of these men are like me and have both breast and prostate cancer. For women, as you would be aware, it's breast and ovarian cancer that sometimes go together.

I edit these stories when they come in, so I know all about these guys. However, because of the small number of men overall, a small percentage of bloggers still means just a few men here in Australia (150 new cases a year). In the U.S. it's around 2,500 cases per annum.

Similarly, only a small percentage of women with the disease post on BCNA, but a small percentage of a much larger number means plenty of women wanting help and plenty of women offering help. This is excellent.

So, you can see why I go global!!

I have to say, though, that whenever I come here, I find a great bunch of supportive women. 

• Romla
    Options
    So how about a men’s group @traveltext to get the ball rolling here ?
  • traveltext
    Options

@Romla  For now this page serves the purpose IMO:

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/16001/male-breast-cancer

But, sure, a group page would be better. I'll set one up.

• Romla
    Options
    No worries just thinking about those poor newly diagnosed blokes who may be somewhat inhibited by so many ladies initially - that is until they get to know us. :)
  • traveltext
    Options
    Hmmm, setting up a group here is not very intuitive. Does anyone have an idea how to do this?
  • Romla
    Options
    I think you need to contact the mods and will need a group administrator.
  • traveltext
    Options
    Thanks.