Contact Breast Prostheses

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
My butterfly brain is flitting around as usual and seizing on anything I hear about...  Has anybody used one of the contact (adhesive) prosthetics and are they any good?  While I'm not going to be in the market for a new prosthesis in the near future, I will be getting some new bras soon when my port has been removed and it would be a good time to check them out.  However, I don't want to go to the bother of it if they don't offer any real advantage or they don't stay on securely.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Perhaps a good chat with a prosthesis fitter who would probably have the inside knowledge and I think most are not just about selling you a product.

Barbara Kennedy in Adelaide would probably be a good one to talk to. She is on facebook with contacts. I have her business card if you can't locate it. 
  • Sister
    It'll be Barbara or Krista that I'll be seeing - I will ask.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,828
    Hi @Sister
    As has been said, the fitter would be the best to guide you in your circumstances.
    I was looking at an adhesive prosthesis a couple of years ago but was told by the fitter that if you are in a warm climate or sweat at all they are not so good at sticking where they should.
    I turned to face my partner when I had one in place and he cracked up laughing at the sight of one nice firm breast and one old floppy number.  The look of that alone put me off, too.
    Hope that image of me helps !!
    Summer   :D
  • Sister
    The bizarre thing with the prosthetic in the mastectomy bra is that my real one is perkier! Now, I'm 55 and I've fed 3 babies - it is definitely not in it's former glory!
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,828
    If your prosthetic does not sit the same as your natural breast the fitter has not given you the correct bra and prosthesis.  Perhaps the bra is too big for the prosthesis, making it move to the lower part of the bra ?
  • Sister
    I think some of it could be the bra - I was limited to one style because of a combination of discomfort around the surgery area but mostly placement of my port.  Once the port comes out, I'll be looking at getting new bras.