Travel Insurance

Options
Stork
Stork Member Posts: 121
edited October 2019 in General discussion
Can anybody recommend a travel insurance company which covers breast cancer? My treatment finished in August 2017 but I am talking Tamoxifen I am seeing my Surgeon next week for my 1st anniversary check up fingers crossed 

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you pop 'travel insurance' into the search box Stork, you'll find lots of info on this subject. :) K xox
  • angiesg
    angiesg Member Posts: 82
    Options
    I used Covermore for a recent trip to the US, was on Tamoxifen and had finished treatment by the end of 2016. They easily covered my pre exisiting condition and the premium was a little more but nothing over the top.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I used Covermore as well on a recent trip to Norfolk Island (and have used them in the past as well prior to BC) and not had an issue.
  • Stork
    Options
    Hi Arpie and Angiesg did you advise Covermore about the B/C when you applied for the travel insurance?
  • arpie
    Options
    @Stork
    Yes - from memory it doesn't specifically mention BC - so I rang them.  

Basically, you are NOT covered if anything happens re the BC (or anything relating to it) whilst you are away.  So, if you've had your surgery & recovered well, and/or had radiation etc I am pretty sure you can't claim it as an 'illness' during the length of your trip if anything can be related to it.  If you fall and break a limb or lose luggage or have a heart attack (anything NOT related to the pre-existing condition) you SHOULD be covered!   Same with cancellations before actually leaving on the trip etc - so long as it doesn't relate to your BC - you should be covered!

Give them a call.  It is a Pre Existing condition - not an 'existing one'.  
  • angiesg
    Options
    I did all my online and said I had a pre-existing illness which was cancer and then other questions came up about how long since I had finished active treatment and medication I was on. It then calculated it all. They then gave me a special letter saying that they were covering me for it etc. Was very simple process. So if anything BC happened I was covered and I was naturally covered for saying if I broke a leg, which would have had nothing to do with the BC.
  • arpie
    Options
    @angiesg
    VERY interesting that they covered you for BC related as well!  How long ago was your travel?  I am Pretty sure I was only going to be covered if I had had no surgery/hospital for 2 years relating to an existing condition.  My surgery was only 3 months prior to the travel And 3 weeks for rads.
  • angiesg
    Options

my surgery was Nov 2015, Radiation finished June 2016, Herceptin finished Dec 2016. Started Tamoxifen June 2016.

Travel was Sept 2017 for 3 weeks in the US

No problem at all covering me, which was great, highly recommend them

• Stork
    Options
    Hi Angiesg what company did you use 
  • Stork
    Options
    I have my travel Insurance with Medibank Private for an extra premium they will cover the breast cancer, but with a couple of exceptions 
    The cancer has not metastasised and not having active treatment except for medications
    Stork
  • kmakm
    Options
    I had no problems with TID (Travel Insurance Direct). Rang them this week, told them I'd had breast cancer, and for $90 I'm covered for everything except for BC related issues, for two weeks in India.
  • Stork
    Options
    @kmakm
    Hi where in India are you going to? 
    When we were there they had a heatvave the weather is very pleasant now
    Regards Stork

• kmakm
    Options
    @Stork Delhi, Ajmer, Pushkar, Jaipur, Agra, Delhi. Nothing too adventurous as we're five mums/aunt travelling with five daughters/niece. Perfect weather for travelling in the north this time of year. We often go in December.