Breast tissue left behind

Options
Bon Bon
Bon Bon Member Posts: 37
I had a double skin and nipple saving mastectomy last year, just about to start reconstrucion and there seems to be an amount of breast tissue left behind. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how much?

Comments

• Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi @Bon Bon is this something you’ve observed? Or did your breast surgeon tell you he/she left tissue behind. Do you know how much? Also, was your mastectomy prophylactic? Or are you being treated for cancer? 
  • Bon Bon
    Options
    I had breast cancer in one breast and had nymph node clearance when found in lymph nodes, mysister had lumpectomy and it came back followed by mastectomy. As she was public they would only take thst breast off. After research i decided on a doublr mastectomy as i could not stand the contant fear of cancer coming back!
    Without gibing into sizes pacific, its a fair bit!

• Eastmum
    Options
    Hi @Bon Bon - I also had a skin-sparing, nipple sacrificing double mastectomy. I had bilateral lobular carcinoma - and lots of it! So I had no option but to have the double, which I was actually quite happy about for the same reasons as you made your decision.

I also had a full axillary node clearance on one side.

Both my breast surgeon and plastic surgeon told me that with the skin-sparing mastectomy, they remove as much breast tissue as possible - as close to 100% of it as possible - but that there is always a minimal amount of tissue that is adhered to the skin that's basically impossible to remove without making your skin so thin that a reconstruction would not be possible. 

They told me that decades ago, a mastectomy was brutal - removing absolutely everything, all tissue, skin everthing - and leaving women quite disfigured. These days, they are much more aware that many (definitely note all) women want a good reconstruction, and even those that are happy to be flat and fabulous, want to have a 'kinder' result. 

You'd really need to talk to your breast surgeon about why he/she has left so much breast tissue. I would hope that it would be a conscious decision taking into account your type of breast cancer, the chances of recurrence and your choice of reconstruction.

Are you going to have any follow-up treatment? Chemo, radio or hormone therapy?

All the best,

xxxxxxxx
  • Eastmum
    Options
    sorry that should be 'definitely NOT all'- not 'note all'!!
  • Bon Bon
    Options
    Hiya Eastmum
    I had several operations due to infection, last year, resulting in the expanders taken out and thrown away.  I then had chemo no radio, started on Tamoxifin, hated it, now on Latrozole not as bad but not nice!! 
    so I am imagining your surgeon left mere mm's under skin??
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Yeah @Bon Bon - to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how much breast tissue he left, but I'm convinced it was minimal - he said that leaving the skin any thinner would compromise reconstruction. I have air expanders in. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    There is subcutaneous fat left behind especially at sides and middle I'm wondering if this is what you think is breast tissue?