Post surgery

Trikki2
Trikki2 Member Posts: 297
edited May 2018 in General discussion
Hi guys,
Surgery on Friday went well except for me reacting to medication I am on with the dye for sentinel node  biopsy or the pain meds. Besides that a wide local excision and reduction to both breasts. I'm home today, little sleep as many of you would resonate with after being in hospital. I'm freaking out that after the node removal they may need to take out more. I don't want to go back into surgery after what happened..i have been sleeping upright..do most of you do that. I can't lie flat..i feel nauseaus and dizzy. God I hope this passes soon..xxx
Trikki2

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi @Trikki2, if you're still feeling nauseated and dizzy, I would think possibly the pain medication. Were they aware you were still feeling this way when discharged?
    Hope it eases soon
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    edited May 2018
    @Trikki2

Good to know you are feeling 'sorta ok' .... it takes a while to get a comfy sleeping position - and the upright one with about 8 pillows around you will work!  ;)   

Re the nausea/dizzy - You could still be affected a bit by the anaesthetic as well as the dye etc - it can take a while to work it's way out of your system - I think drinking lots of water may help flush it out!  Just take everything really slowly - specially when standing up after sleeping/lying down ..... I am usually like that after an op too (plus throw up a lot.)   Just put your legs over the bed edge first for a minute, then stand whilst leaning on the bed for a minute before taking the first steps - just in case the dizzy/nausea feeing comes on you.  I've nearly passed out a coupe of times, jumping out of bed following anaesthetic!  :( 

Try not to 2nd guess the path results (she says knowingly!  I was a bit freaked, waiting for mine too, in Jan!) Luckily mine were good  ... fingers crossed yours are too!

Thinking of you - try & keep yourself busy with things you enjoy & that you can do without too much effort - even just reading, watching funny movies - whatever you like doing .... to help pass the time.  xxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Lots of people have adverse reactions to medication and dressings. The most important thing to do if you have further procedures is tell your surgeon, your anaesthetist, your nurses, anyone who listens, that you had an adverse reaction to a drug in the previous operation. There are almost always alternatives to try.

Yes, lots of people sleep propped up after breast surgery. I know I did! Some women after reconstruction sleep in recliner chairs.

Drink plenty of water to flush the drugs from your system, and maybe see your GP if it doesn't stop.

Are you happy with your reduction? K xox
  • Trikki2
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for replying @kmakm. I am happy with my reduction. Just feel awful now. Just got wafers for Nausea. So beginning. What gives me comfort is that I can write a post and get help from you guys. Thanks so much.
    Trikki2 
  • Trikki2
    @arpie
     Thanks I have about 6 pillows keeping me company. Lucky for Netflix and foxtel. I'm happy you are ok. Did you just have radiation ?? 
    Trikki2 xx
  • Trikki2
    @lrb_03 - they knew how I was but I forgot to ask them for nausea meds. I have them now so that is helping. I do think once I can get all the anesthetic etc out of my body I will feel better. How are you 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    @Trikki2

Yep, 4 weeks of daily radiation (for extra insurance) following the Lumpectomy/Wide Local Excision & Sentinel Node Biopsy, Grade 2, Invasive Lobular Cancer.

Luckier than some .... now on Letrozole for 5 years too, just started 2 weeks ago.  Hoping I don't get awful side effects!!

All the best xx