Back to work tomorrow!

jennyss
jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
edited April 2018 in Day to day
 I finished radiotherapy in November last year, following AC Chemo in July, August & Sept and lumpectomy  in June.I am lucky that I have recovered from treatment quickly. I have been looking for part time work since January and all  of a sudden it has happened. I have a casual position with my former employer - full-time till the end of the financial year. Not sure how I'll cope! I will keep a notebook on me at all times. I'll take lunch from home. My workmates and boss are very good; but I want to pull my weight. The work is a combo of in the office, on the phone and out working with children and families.  Has anybody got any return to work tips??

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @jennyss - that’s great news - congratulations!!  I’m working though my chemo as much as I can so I have always been a note taker but I definately do it more now, take thinks slowly and thoughtfully. Just remember to be kind to yourself. U have been through a lot and this is a big step. U will love it and be fantastic!!! Big hugs xoxoxo
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Fantastic news @jennyss Don't have any experience to share because I've still to get there but I guess the best I can say is to not put too much pressure on yourself.  If something doesn't absolutely need to be done, it can stay undone.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Oh!...and one step at a time.
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Well done on the job.  I am still looking but may go back and finish the tafe course i started . Good luck tomorrow x
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @jennyss

That is great news about returning to work.  We have an online group called work and breast cancer that you may like join here is the link  http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/13-work-and-breast-cancer

BCNA are currently working on project regarding return to work and have developed some information sheets.  I will check with my college tomorrow to see where we are at with the information sheets and be in touch.

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Before l went back l prepared many meals in the freezer for when l was so tired when l got home.l also found my brain couldnt retain like it used to so a diary and big memo book l wrote in even when l thought l will remember l didnt.l also bought some oils to put on my wrists to liven me up when l was weary.good lyck be kind to yourself its a shock to the system.my boss also told anyone who didnt know ld had bc so l wasnt thought of as your poor thing. Good luck adean xxx
  • Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    .  Congratulations. My advice is to listen to your body and pace yourself. Being self employed I've been able to work when I'm able. Whenever I stepped out of a steady pace I suffered for it. Too damn tiring. A steady pace is far more enjoyable. Whenever I can I rest. Today I didn't even get out of bed. Didn't feel tired, just knew I need to do it to get me through the next few days. Just do what you have to do and try not to take on extra duties or do others work. You may feel ok to do it but you need your energy to do your own duties. Good luck 
  • jennyss
    Dear @Kiwi Angel, @Sister , @smokie08 , @Giovanna_BCNA , @adean, @Blondy, @kezmusc , @kmakm, @duxx1234, Thanks very much for your encouragement and tips. I'm looking forward to working, but nervous at the same time. Just hope my brain hasn't shed all the data entry stuff, and as for everybody's names LOL. This is where the notebook and diary come in. Have a great day everybody
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Have a great day Jenny. Mxx
  • jennyss
    Thanks @Zoffiel and everybody. The first two days went really well. I managed to keep my energy up even with no nanna nap after lunch. I'm only booked till the end of the financial year, so I'll go as hard as I can until then and  then see what happens. My husband does all our cooking and we keep the housework to a minumum - just the two of us. 
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Great to hear all went well for your first couple of days. Xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Terrific! Sounds like you've got a routine going so that will certainly help.  Pace thyself accordingly and enjoy the companionship of others in the work environment

Take care
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    @jennyss Glad to hear it has started well for you. Sometimes the thought of going back to work is scarier than when you actually do it! I am now back at work after my breast cancer op, 4 weeks of rad & further op to remove ovaries, which was 2 weeks ago. I am a casual employee & even though only 2 people at work knew of my illness, they were very good in providing support & letting me have as much time off as i wanted. Now with everything behind me, it was good to get back into a routine as it makes you feel "normal" again. It is so great that you are going back to a job you know & with work mates you have worked with before as familiarity helps. Take it slow at the start as you may find fatigue hits you if you push too hard. If you have a long drive to & from work, like I do, it also takes a toll on your body so give yourself every opportunity, even if you don't feel you need it, to make a cuppa & sit outside & relax or take a short nap when you get home. I also have frozen meals for when I feel too tired to cook but my hubby doesn't mind cooking either so that helps! Your strength will return & when you feel up to it, start walking for some exercise in the morning or evening as that really helps make you feel better & also helps with fitness levels. I am going to start my walking again next week as I feel i have recovered enough from my latest op which was 2 weeks ago. You will really start to feel part of a "normal" life again so embrace your exciting new chapter, take it slow, listen to your body & you will get stronger every day. Hugs xx
  • jennyss
    Dear @Anne65, @iserbrown @finch and everybody, thanks for your wonderful encouragement and tips. I have an 18 kms, 20 minute drive to work, so not too bad. Making a big pot of carrot and pumpkin soup this afternoon and  helping to cart wood, ready for the first fire, which might even  be tonight.! Best wishes from jennyss
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Good luck with the job. 
    You sound very organized. 
    Hugs
    paula xx