A question about BC

someone asked me this today..... they have/had TNBC 

Is it common to get breast cancer after double mastectomy?

my thoughts are none of us are safe ... we do what is suggested and some of us are lucky and it doesn't come back and some of us unfortunately are not as lucky and the Bitch returns..... 

What are others thoughts I am correct in this ? 

Comments

• LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    @SoldierCrab, I really think nothing is guaranteed even having double mastectomy. It all comes down to luck as far as I'm concerned. I guess it reduces the risk somewhat. Even radiation doesn't guarantee it kills off all the cells. 

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    I had triple neg too I forgot to mention. And TNBC responds really well to chemo too so that’s a bonus. Xx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    thank you @onemargie and @LMK74
    I just wanted to bounce it off ladies here so I was sure that I had said the right thing to her... 

Margie, I think like you is it like Russian roulette the wheel will spin and the ball will drop where it wants to. I like you have had double mastectomy and chemo & rads I was TNBC and I am 5 years out no recurrence.... I am grateful I got the bitch early and I have done what I can to minimize my chance of recurrence. 

• Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    Hi @SoldierCrab, I guess not common but possible really is the answer for them. I was TNBC and had bilaterals, really so 0% risk to unaffected side. There is no guarantee of getting every single cell of breast tissue on the affected side so always a percentage of risk remains. However, there are a lot of other prognostic factors with grade etc that influence the ongoing (or not ongoing) path of the beast. I think that like you said 'minimising risk of recurrence' is what resonates with most of us! Bec xx
    PS you rock @SoldierCrab, you are so generous with your time and info and links etc for all of us - thank you! X
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    The crux of the question I see is the "is it common" part. No it is not common, nor is it rare. For some a simple single lumpectomy and radiation is enough and for others it seems to be a revolving door of surgeries and treatments. We are all of us different and that is what makes breast cancer research so hard as we all get differing sorts of cancer too.