Pink Linda

Options
Pink Linda
Pink Linda Member Posts: 17
edited September 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi there my name is Linda. I was 31 when I discovered a lump in my breast in 2006. The dr said it was probably nothing, but sent me off for tests to be sure. I was shocked when the diagnosis came back and the terrible words "you have breast cancer " were spoken to me.

I had a lumpectomy and senitel node biopsy. Luckily the nodes were all clear so I had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and began a clinical trial involving tablets and monthly anti-hormone injections.

I took up dragon boating to make friends and regain my strength. I absolutely love it and the support is great, but I am the youngest on the team by about 10 years. I would really love to make contact with some more youngies!

Comments

• Liz24
    Liz24 Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Pink Linda,

Dragon boating sounds like fun. I heard about it from a friend who has a friend who had BC. Some people take it very seriously and even compete overseas. Are you able to join the team as an individual or do you need to have other family members/friends participating on your behalf?

I would like to try it out when I finish treatment. At the moment I dont think I'd have the strength to participate, as I'm in the middle of chemo. I was diagnosed before my 34th birthday which was just a few months ago. I too had a lumpectomy and clear sentinel node biopsy. Was chemo not part of your treatment?

Liz x

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Liz and Linda

I took up Dragon boat paddling this year after finishing my treatment in Feb. I have found it has really strengthened my arm where the lymph nodes were removed and all the fluid collection I had around the top of my arm has gone. I love going paddling and am looking forward to the DAA (Dragon's Abreast Australia) national regatta in Kawana on the Sunshine coast in a few weeks are you going to be there? I know it will be a great weekend. I have also made a new group of friends who have been so welcoming and inclusive.

We're paddling in a regatta on the weekend on the Gold Coast am looking forward to a fun day.

Enjoy

Sarah x

• Pink Linda
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Liz, hope you are feeling well. I am new to" internetting" so hope i'm doing this correctly.... To answer your question, I did not have chemo. My oncolgist explained that in my case chemo would only have a marginal 2% benefit on top of the trial medication and radiotherapy I am taking..perhaps that is part of the trial I am on, to see if the new drugs are better then chemo?..

Re dragonboating, I would reccomend waiting til your treatment finishes. If you google dragons abreast, you will be able to find a club closest to you, and contact details. I went the first time with my sister, as I didn't know anyone who'd even had breast cancer. Our club allows you to try out 3 times for free to see if you like it before you join. The repetitive arm movement is good for stretching your arm and reducing the risks of lymphodaema.

I love the sport and fun side of it,and paddle socially and competititvely. Last year I travelled to canada to compete and joined in with the team from Canberra..it was amazing!

xLinda

• Pink Linda
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sarah, thanks for your message. I agree with you about the arm exercise of dragonboating being very beneficial. I am attending the national dragons abreast regatta in Caloundra too so I hope to see you soon! Only a small number of our team (from Vic) are attending, so I look forward to joining a composite team and making some new friends. Did you know in a couple of years there will be another international breast cancer survivors regatta; country yet to be announced(last years was in Canada). Thats something to look forward too and I'm saving pennies already!

x Linda

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda

I am with the above paddling group you might hear us before you see us! Lots of the girls I paddle with also went to Canada so you probably know some of them so would be good to say hello when you are in Claoundra, we're looking forward to a great pink weekend!

Sarah x