Costochondritis

My first time on the forum.  I was diagnosed with "infiltrating ductal carcinoma Grade 2. 20mm.  ER, PR Positive, Her2 negative in September 2013.  Breast preservation surgery (left side) with axillary clearance.  17 lymph nodes removed (4 positive).  Followed by 3 courses of FEC and 3 of Docetaxel then 25 sessions of radiation.  Have basically been fine since, bit of a scare in 2015 when another "lump" was discovered but results was cyst, "fatty tissue" and calcification.  They reckoned all these changes due to the surgery and radiation.  I'm on Arimidex 5mg for five years.  

Couple of months ago I got a bad virus whilst overseas, you probably know the one, coughing forever after.  (Seems like everyone got it).  Then when we came back I got it back again!  Finally stopped coughing this week but saw my GP who sent me for a chest X ray which was clear.  Recently had my yearly mammogram and that was okay too.  

Been getting an odd sort of pain/ache in my left side/back ever since the first virus.  Consulted the forum and Dr Google (of course!) and think it may be Costochondritis.  Seems to fit with the virus/inflammation/all the coughing etc., I don't want to go running back to my GP every five minutes but wondering if anyone else has had something similar and what the outcome was?  

Comments

• Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    I had costochondritis a few years ago, precipitated by pleurisy, which was really painful. The costo was confirmed via an ultrasound and chest xray. I never felt completely recovered from the pleurisy, and in spite of the dr's assurances, was relieved to find that there was something still wrong, which was treated successfully with 6 weeks antibiotics.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Well it may well be. But I really think it worth getting checked out.
  • Lesley777
    Lesley777 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Jane and Primek.  Appreciate your feedback.  I'll see how I go in a couple more weeks.  If the pain doesn't resolve, perhaps I'll check in with my GP or oncologist and ask to be sent for an ultrasound.  I feel better just bringing this up and chatting about it.  Thanks again. 
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    @Lesley777 welcome to the online network. As Primek has mentioned it's always good to go back to your GP or medical team just to get it checked out. Let us know how you go.
  • Lesley777
    Lesley777 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Ann-Marie.  I will let you know how things go.