Feeling Empowered

Jennybutter
Jennybutter Member Posts: 156
edited April 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi lovely peeps,

Guess what I did today? Went out to the shops with no hat and showed off my grey spikes lol, gee felt so good. Got a few stares but guess that is human nature, so I figure it is their problem hey.

I went to my beautiful daughters for lunch, got out of the car and she said " Oh Mum no hat you look so cute". I said oh I just went to shops like this and she said to me " Mum you should be proud " You know what I am.

Think I might leave it o'natural and call it....executive grey ? 

Cheers Jen ?? ?? ?? xx 

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited April 2016

I don't care what colour, straight or curly, just gimme some soon lol. Its getting a bit nippy lately so I am beanies and caps. I think in the cold section of Coles I might have to wear a beanie too instead of a cap. Brrrrr it was cold yesterday in there.

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited April 2016

I wear bandannas and a loose sleep cap when out and I still get stared at! Maybe i look like a bikie chick and i scare them! LOL!

I have left the house a few times without my hat on, but go back in and put it on...i think I'd scare the kids...i look like  plucked chicken at the moment!

Good for you...it's kind of empowering.... bold as brass with plenty of class!

Agreed Brenda it is cold in the shops!

• Linda2151
    Linda2151 Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2016

Ditto Jen! 

Just starting to get some regrowth and today was the first day I ventured out 'au naturel'! 

And I felt empowered too - and I don't think there were any more stares than when I wore my headgear! 

Regards

Linda  XX 

• PaulaN
    PaulaN Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2016
    LOVE the term executive grey !! Good on you for going out without a hat. As for the stares, you kind of get used that, Im in a wheelchair so I get that all the time. When its kids I don't mind but when its adults sometimes in P me off

Paula
  • Jane_Elizabeth
    Jane_Elizabeth Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2016

Good on you! I have no trouble being bald at home, or even in the car, but as soon as I step out of the car I feel the need to cover up. But even then I still feel self conscious because I think people are looking at me trying to work out whether I have hair under there, or am just weirdly wearing a beanie on a warm day. At least if it is on display, it is pretty obvious what people are looking at. And maybe people just might think "she looks like she's got cancer, but look, she's still doing the grocery shopping, buying clothes, getting petrol, ferrying kids, doing normal stuff......what a hero!"

I still wonder when I cover up, who am I doing it for? All the people that matter to me still love me, so who cares about anyone else and what they think? I've got cancer. So what? If they find it offensive they can just go kiss my big, fat, white..........head!

Now where's my hat?

You're  a champion Jen!

• Autore
    Autore Member Posts: 84
    edited April 2016

Oh I'm so proud of you. I want to chuck my wig in the bin - seriously ! I haven't been courageous enough to hit the streets bald yet. But I'm very close to now.

thank you for your empowering message :) xo

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited April 2016

Good for you Jen! Apart from when I worked, as I didn't want to scare the customers, I went bald and ala naturale. I rocked bald and if someone had a problem with it, I figured it was their problem not mine. For me it was accepting what was happening to me and making the best of it. One of the best days I had was when a young man in a wheelchair yelled out at the shops "Love your head. You rock bald!". And so I did from that day forward. Enjoy your executive grey locks. Karen xox

• Jennybutter
    edited April 2016

Go Linda !!!

Cheers Jen ?? x

• Jennybutter
    edited April 2016

Just do it mate ??

• Jennybutter
    edited April 2016

So true Karen,

We have to do what makes us happy not others hey. I went for lunch today, there were 2 ladies donning their beanies and we exchanged the warmest smiles. Lots of lovely people out there when you least expect it. We have special days that some people wouldn't understand, doesnt take much does it.

Take care.

Cheers Jen ?? ?? ?? x 

• Jennybutter
    edited April 2016

Hi Jane,

Sometimes I think when we cover up we make it more obvious, you know what... who cares do what you are comfortable with my friend. Think it is a cycle we wear a hat or scarf when we first go bald cause I think we are embarrassed, but then as time goes on we get so over it and don't give a s..t anymore.

Cheers Jen ?? ?? ?? x 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited May 2016

Good Girl, sounds like you rock the short hair style. Keep that lippy on and keep on smiling. Sending you a big cuddle, Trace ????????