Take to hospital

GeorginaMary
GeorginaMary Member Posts: 63
edited March 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Practical advice for hospital
My friend gave me this the day before I was in for my mastectomy/reconstruction, and I was so grateful. I was taking in a nightie, but she told me to take pyjamas instead. The reason is that they are forever checking your dressings, and you will have drains coming out at breast level. The only full button up PJs now in the shops were winter ones, but I got a couple of pairs of jersey material pull-over the head types with culotte pants, and they have proven to be perfect, easy to whip up and display your dressings.  Loose pants are also very handy for the toilet with lots of 'ouches' as you are trying to deal with your pain.

Comments

• ChrissK
    ChrissK Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2016

Thank you as I'm going in on Friday 1/4 and have been looking for button front ones but don't want winter ones.  Where did you get your pjs from?

• GeorginaMary
    edited March 2016

Got them at Autograph, the shop for sizes 14 and upwards.  You might find similar one to fit you at Target if you are a smaller size.  I was limited by needing size 18 upwards.  Also a large floppy men's t-shirt or two would do the trick with some shorts, perhaps.  The best of luck to you.

• jacquipp
    jacquipp Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2016

Hi Georgina

I have my surgery on Thursday and have been given the same advice re: button up pj's. You are right there are none around. I too need an over 18's size  making it more difficult. I ended up spending the weekend sewing myself a pair. It helped take my mind off things for a bit and felt like i was doing something practical. 

I'm glad to hear that a loose top and shorts would also work. Not everyone can sew. I am lucky in that respect. I was going to opt for a large mens tshirt if I couldn't find anything else. 

Thanks for the post Georgina, hugs Jacqui xxx

• jacquipp
    jacquipp Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2016

Oh the things we have to think about while are heads are spinning right now. I hope you find something. Good luck on Friday, hugs Jacqui

• Ruth Bird
    Ruth Bird Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2016

I got some at the local op shop as had difficulty finding simple summer ones and/or they were pretty expensive. Got some new ones for about $6! Also got some button up tops there as well that came in handy. All the best :)

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2016

If you're looking for plus-size jammies, just this weekend I saw some in the sleepwear section at Kmart up to size 22 in both cotton and flannel, with and without elastic bands at the ankles, with pull-over shirts and button options.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited March 2016

Cheap stretch short  pants (like from target) and loose Ts are a good alternative. I didn't  bother with undies...just changed daily. I did wear big loose Tshirt nighties.....hate wearing  PJs I get too hot and they bunch up and since I had a bilateral movement was challenging.

• GeorginaMary
    edited April 2016

You are welcome, Jacqui.  I am glad that was I was able to give you practical and helpful advice when you are facing the operation we all dreaded as we approached it.  The best of luck to you in your recovery.  Georgina. ??????