Fertility and public/private question

Batels
Batels Member Posts: 11
edited February 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hey Lovely ladies,

I'm new to cancer and new to Australia so got tons of questions ;)
I'm 35 no kids, no private insurance.
I know I need to think quickly about preserving my fertility.

1. I was forwarded by my surgeon to IVF Australia to undergo a round of IVF.
I was told there will be an out of pocket expense.
Is this any option to undergo this procedure in the public sector and how much influence will it have on the cost?

2.Just heard there might be a different option than IVF - Ovarian tissue freezing. I was wondering if anyone here has any info about that.. is it done privately/publicly and who can I consult with about my options.

Thank you so much !
Bat-El

Comments

• InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    edited February 2016

I'm also not insured and have just had to start sorting this out with my partner. To our understanding IVF in Australia is only offered by private.

Medicare doesn't cover the egg harvesting or embryo transfer hospital costs, and with medications etc. we've been told the out-of-pocket associated costs could run up several thousand  (maybe $8k). It ll depend son what we end up doing.

This link goes to their costs - it explains what is and isn't medicare covered too :)

• Andyp11
    Andyp11 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016

Hi Bat-El and Ink Petal,

I am not sure whether either of these places will be able to help you but I understand that they are a lot cheaper than other IVF clinics as some of their services are bulk billed.

http://primaryivf.com.au

https://www.thefertilitycentre.com.au/nsw/IVF-costs

Best of luck,

Andy

• Emma H
    Emma H Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2016

Hi All

I was looking at this recently as my hubby and I were having issues with our third, - Melbourne IVF webpage has a good breakdown of costs and options - this might give you some idea of what to expect, what medicare covers (they do a little bit), upfront vs delayed payments etc

Hope this helps

Em xx