Stupid things people say (this post is for giggles ;) )

donnafischer
donnafischer Dragonfly Posts: 144
edited January 2016 in Health and wellbeing

So being new to this, i'm getting used to people saying those things that you look at them and just thing (What the hell???  also known as my now new favourite term WTF!)

So these are my two "What the" moments

1. After telling this one lady about my very early diagnosis and wide local excision and sentinel nodes, taking great care to explain that this is really a small lump and my surgeon is trying to take the most least invasive path as he can (with all reasonable and responsible care), she then offers up this question - "Should you have a double mastectomy just to be sure?"  

2. During my a recent chat with a friend where I was saying I just wish the surgery was sooner, she said to me "Do you think its gotten bigger?"   Because that wouldn't freak someone waiting, out. LOL  

You have to laugh!  Please share a giggle with your What The! moments.

Comments

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited January 2016

Hi Donna

One of my WTF moments was when one of the mums at footy said to me "I couldn't possible go through what you are". Like you have a choice about it!  Lol I just laughed and said that the other option sucks even more. People really say some silly things. Karen xox

• donnafischer
    edited January 2016

LMAO!!! We soo need emoticons on this site!

• Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    edited January 2016

My sister the drama queen was my support person, so out of her mouth came the following fantastic encouragements:

"when you die your sons won't need your home as daddies rich, so you can leave it to me" thought I heard wrong, but no, she repeated it till I told her it wasn't helping

"maybe now you're dying your estranged son might come home" as if that didn't hurt enough anyway

but the classic had to be while at my side for the first chemo "oh I can't bare to watch, does that feel like death racing through your veins?"

seriously some people have no filter between their very small brain and their very big mouth. I traded her in as support person but I gotta keep her as a sister ??

• Beppie
    Beppie Member Posts: 168
    edited January 2016

Ho All,

one of my sisters told me I looked like the boogy man with no hair but that was topped by my insensitive husband telling me to put the wig on during romantic interludes!  I certainly told both of them where to go !! Sooo hurt my feelings . 

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited January 2016

Oh my! 

Ive had a couple,

but you don't look sick! To which I answer, not yet!

given a bunch of watercress with instructions to eat this, it stops you getting cancer! To which I replied, too late! 

Heaps if the my friend had scenarios.... Do they forget, I nursed my mother in law and father through pancreatic and metastatic prostrate cancer over the last 8 years? My dads only been gone for three years this August o! My mother in law for four the February... And they assume that the types of cancer are all the same! 

Ya gotta  laugh don't you? 

-Tracy

• donnafischer
    edited January 2016

• donnafischer
    edited January 2016

sometimes there are just no words LMAO

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

O Beppie, that's not fair! How insensitive??

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

gotta ask Donna, what's LMAO?

• lisboy
    lisboy Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2016

Out for a lunch with a group of mums and one said, 'so you know what you have got is it fatal??? Shheesh!!

• donnafischer
    edited January 2016

Its Laugh My @ss Off  Tracey :)

• donnafischer
    edited January 2016

oh lordy

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited January 2016

Best 2 quotes I had were,  1 my sister in law said how lucky are you to get bc you've lost so much weight. 2 when I returned to work they changed my role, a co worker said your so lucky you got bc you've got the best job now!

• wenno05
    wenno05 Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2016

Hi All,

I am definitely having a little giggle as I read your posts!

My WTF moment was when I was told by a stranger that I had the "sexy" cancer due to the pink and the boobs.........really???? I am standing there with one boob....no hair...lots more weight....and hot sweats....definitely was not feeling very sexy!!!!!

Luckily too....I had a little laugh and walked away rather than respond in anyway. Some people just do not think!!!

Best wishes to everyone here

Wendy xx