A weighty issue

Marni_s
Marni_s Member Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all

i finished chemo end of August last year, had surgery three weeks later and finished my radiotherapy end of November. I'm finding it really hard to shift weight since I stopped treatment despite eating (relatively) well and working out three times a week. Normally this would have seen weight come off quite quickly but it just seems to be sticking and I'm finding it really depressing I'm working my butt off and nothing is happening. Has anyone else found it hard to shift weight after finishing chemo/treatment? Any suggestions on what might help?

Comments

• becmac
    becmac Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2016

Hi Marni,

I have put on quite a bit of weight since finishing my active treatment and starting hormone therapy. Like you, I used to be able to drop weight fairly easily if I had overindulged. It has been pretty frustrating as the weight gain and the slow growing hair knocks my confidence a bit.

I am not sure if you are on hormone therapy as well, but my oncologist explained that lower oestrogen levels slow your fat metabolism and that is why you gain weight more easily. So she said I have to eat less than I used to and exercise more. That sounds simple enough, but like you I had been eating pretty well and exercising already with no change. She said it will definitely be harder now but not impossible. I was worried that I would have to eat like a rabbit and work out like I was training for a triathlon to get even modest results. Since I saw my oncologist last week, I have been to the gym everyday, just doing a minimum 30 minutes brisk walk on the treadmill plus some time on the bikes as a warm up, and I think I am starting to notice a small difference already, which has been a huge relief. It seems a few days a week at the gym make no difference, but 6 or 7 days at the gym does, so I can live with that.

So maybe try exercising just a little bit more and eating just a little bit less and see how you go? I guess it is all just trial and error to find what works for your body. It just sucks that it won't be as easy as before!

Bec x