A new job after my cancer experience

Options
NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
edited September 2016 in Day to day

I was very apprehensive when I left the safe environment I had clung to during my Cancer experience.  I had a safety net and a spectacular Cancer Council staffed with wonderful Counselors and free facilities, and trusted team of doctors trailing along behind me.  I felt that being told I had to leave all of the Launceston crew, including the job I had, would be a very daunting experience.  I had many concerns and mostly about employment and what type of position I would find now I had an arm I had to be careful with.  I had lost my confidence, but knew how to sell myself in an interview, and knew it was how we would survive, moving to Sydney.

I did not mention I had a medical past, and even though one position I applied for asked all those questions, I did not tell them any thing.  I had 3 positions to chose from because I was prepared to work every week end to be in line with my husband in his retail job.  I was able to therefore ask for what I wanted and that was to have a role that did not involved manual labor.  I was still in Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Assistant, but no longer wanted to kneel on the floor or lift heavy objects.  Instead I accepted a position in the busiest of the 3 I had to chose from and the one I would be the more challenged in.  I have not gone back to full time work, and work 4 days per week.

I didn't have to mention anything for quite some time, but bit by bit I started to let people know who wondered why I wasn't stepping up to do more shifts.  I also had a major hick-up revolving around staff having to chip in and mop and sweep a very large area, and I developed fluid retention in my breast and had to come clean with my medical past.

Prior to this, I had asked a GP if she thought it would just be wise for me to be honest and she had advised me not to and said she thought that my honesty would not be rewarded.

I also, in my previous position had been treated as some-one who had been sick and then returned to work, I was the older lady who was being given very menial/non challenging roles.  I was quite bored back then, but just happy to be alive.  I guess it was an important part of my transition away from Breast Cancer.

I also included in my confession the 3 page article that was placed in a Post Script Magazine that is a National Pharmacy magazine published each month, of the story about my return to work.  My employer came out into the busy Pharmacy and hugged me, I had been there for 5 months at that stage, and said I had fitted in from the start and no longer was on probation.  She was extremely supportive.

What I have now is incredible and I almost feel like we were definitely supposed to experience those hardships and losses to realize that living on an island without family or job options,  was going to always be a long hard battle.  For those who don't know me, just after my Cancer, my husband's best friend died and then followed his mother. 

In the role I have now I am in a key position with responsibilities and respect.  I am involved as a customer service person, working in the area of assisting the Pharmacists and primarily sales.   I also work with the Weight Loss area and natural health.   My roles include passing on information to other staff members and educating customers on various subjects.  I am passionate about helping people to stay well and have never looked back.  I am loving my job as never before.  My employer and her husband are wonderful people, and the staff are fun, enjoyable to be around and are just like a family.  

So here we are, living in Sydney, and both very glad me moved and had a fresh start.  Sure I just can't forget about the Cancer issue, with the ongoing Lymphatic issue, and the check up and looming Mammograms due soon, but at least I am having a chance to live and try to have something of the life I had before!

Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited August 2015
    Options

What a woman !! Way to go !! Trace ????

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Bel - how lovely to hear from you!  I was just thinking of you the other day as I deleted 'old' messages, and wondered how living in Sydney was going.  It is great to hear you are doing so well, have such a top job, and work with such lovely people.  You deserve every bit of this happiness.  Stay well and happy xxx Michelle

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited August 2015
    Options

What I love about BCNA network are the  friends you make.So wherever you go in Australia,you can connect with a bc buddy.Bel moved into an adjacent suburb and I had the pleasure of meeting up with her in person.She is such a sweetheart and we plan to catch up again - get better soon Bel. It's not an easy thing to do- move states,house and job, especially after bc treatments.Hats off to you Bel- you're amazing! Tonya xx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2015
    Options

Bella bella how lovely to hear from you wow gal what a long way we have all come. Such a pleasure to have been on your ride. Best wishes adean xx

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2015
    Options

Bel,how great to hear from you.What a story with a happy ending :) Please stay in touch,I always like to hear how you are going.Cheers Robynxox

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited August 2015
    Options

Wow. What a girl. Lovely to see you on here and you are looking great in your pic. 

Glad the big city working out for you. 

Paula xxxx

• NaturalBel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thank you Paula.  It is a family I have not forgotten, the bcna family that is.  I always love the nice feed back I get.  Every one on here, just gets it.  A support I have always appreciated.  Belxxx

• NaturalBel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thank you Robyn, I always have appreciated the community support I have found on here, and write my positive stories, each time I have a positive story.  This club is one I am sure I will always be involved with in some way. xx Cheers to you!

• NaturalBel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Dear Tonya, I am so pleased to have met you in person too, and really appreciate the new friendship.  Looking forward to many more.  Your time spent with me just flew and wow, can we both talk.  I really needed some female company, being new to Sydney.  Thank you, until next time! xxx Bel

• NaturalBel
    edited August 2015
    Options

I really have always loved your positive input.  I hope life is being kind to you, and best wishes to you too Adeanxx

• NaturalBel
    edited August 2015
    Options

I hope to stay well, and happy, it is really one of those one day at a time things.  Remaining as positive as we can, although now and then my husband does notice I worry about the dark shadow in my past.  xx Bel

• NaturalBel
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thank you Traceyxxx