Pink and blue, men get breast cancer too

traveltext
traveltext Member Posts: 253
edited September 2016 in Day to day

Men with breast cancer have a lesser chance of survival than women. It is generally recognised that this is because they are diagnosed later than women since they and their health practitioners are not recognising symptoms of the disease early enough. And the lack of male-specific clinical research and trials means that treatment for men is based on that for women.

Because it is important to raise awareness of one of the most prevalent cancers in women, pink has been chosen to denote the disease. But is this not reinforcing the common perception that males don’t get breast cancer?

As a man who is happy to talk about his breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, I am quick to point out that the care I received was first class and as equal to that of the many women I was treated alongside. Last year, I was invited to address a crowd of Pinktober fun runners raising money for breast cancer research in my small town. Wearing a blue t-shirt to contrast the mass of pink in the crowd, I wanted to signify the fact that while 99% of breast cancer cases are women, men need to be made aware that they can get breast cancer too.

So, when the ubiquitous pink ribbons and associated merchandise rolls out each October for breast cancer awareness, let’s consider including a small patch of blue.

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    edited August 2015
    Good on you for helping to raise the awareness - and for standing up alongside us 'pink ladies'.
    I wonder if women need to be hassling partners to be more aware of the possibilily of breast cancer in men ? It is often us who push the issue of bowel cancer tests and checking for prostate cancer so we should add this subject into the equation.
    I do think men are pushing the proverbial uphill with medical practitioners as yet because many are too scared to face the possibility for themselves, especially the 'older' male doctors in the 60+ range.
    Keep up the good work.
    Summer :-)
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited August 2015

So true. 

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    edited August 2015

Well said. I was at a BCNA day in Cairns a couple of years ago and met a family (mother, father and daughter). They were telling me that two of them had had breast cancer. I immediately assumed it was mother and daughter. It was in fact the father and daughter. They had the BRCA gene. Good for you spreading this awareness and reminding us that Men do indeed get breast cancer. 

• Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2015

well said.

don't forget Professor John Boyages now has a book for male Breast Cancer. that is the 3rd of his very readable books. Perhaps you should contact him if you haven't already since I know he is keen to have more Patients for any events, research etc. BTW He heads the Macquarie Cancer Institute in Sydney where they are doing a lot of research on financial implications of bc and lymphoedema, new techniques for surgery and treatment.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    edited August 2015

Thanks Carol, I have John's new book, and I have to say it is the best book on MBC available anywhere in the world.

• Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2015

I'm sure he'll be chuffed if I remember to tell him when next at a seminar involving him either here at macquarie or run by BCNA or whoever.

Carol

ps I am a Research Librarian at Macquarie in addition to being a 2nd generation breast cancer survivor and 2nd gen with lymphoedema