Back to work

Options
Loubegg
Loubegg Member Posts: 73
edited September 2016 in Day to day

Hi all,

just wondering how soon after treatment finished everyone returned to work?  I finish radiation at end of July.  I'm planning to return to work mid September for 2 months and full time from mid November.  I think this should be fine but a few people think I need more time off and oncologist thinks it best to go back then.  What has everyone else done?

thanks

Louise

Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Louise. I think it really is different for everyone, with how they cope, how much they need to work for financial or other reasons, what sort of work you do. All the best when you do return, Lyn

• Loubegg
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Lyn.  I think you're right!

Will just give it a go.

Thanks

Louise

• rachie75
    rachie75 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Louise, I went back to work about a week after I finished radiation. I started with 4hrs a day and slowly increased to full time after a couple of months. I was a bit tired at first but it slowly improved. I think everyone is different the key is just start slowly if you can, and listen to your body, it will let you know if you are overdoing it. 

Good luck

Rachel 

• Kazzi
    Kazzi Member Posts: 263
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Louise,

Returning to work post treatment is such an individual thing.  Only you will know how you'll feel once you've stepped back.  Doing a transition sounds good.

Remember to be kind to yourself in those days.  Also, see how your radiation treatment finishes.  I've heard tiredness is a big issue during and after radiation has finished.  (I haven't started rads yet til later this year).

All the best,

Karen xx

• Glynnis
    Glynnis Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi loubegg, I actually took 12 months leave of absents from work, chemo should finish in September, then I have lymph node removal, then rads when healed all treatment should be done by mid December and I'm due back at work by 22/2/16 so I only work part time but will be easing back into it for a while then back to full part time hours after a few weeks, hope all goes well for you, our bodies will let us know if we are doing too much, take care. Glynnis

• MaggieR
    MaggieR Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Louise, I agree with everyone - its very much a personal decision and certainly no-one here will judge you.  Where you're at in your head and your body will tell you when to go back.  Personally I've worked through my treatment so far (wide local excision with sentinel node, 15 rad treatments with 15 to go) with about 3 days off.  Before you say OMG let it be known that my husband and I have our own business that I operate the admin side remotely from my home and have a warehouse about an hour away. Despite my best efforts to outsource some of my work prior to surgery I have not been able to do it.  I'm past that now and actually appreciate the routine work gives me.  Besides, I don't have far to go to get to the office.  For me work has been a good distraction. 

Do what you want to do Louise - this IS all about you! Don't feel guilty about taking extra time off if you think you need it.

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Louise going back to work is such a personal choice. When I was having treatment (chemo, herceptin and mastectomy and reconstruction) I did work on and off, I was lucky that my boss was understanding and I never felt pressured. For me I needed the distraction of something else to think about than my cancer and treatment. Good luck and do what is right for you take care xx

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Louise

i worked through out chemo, radio and herceptin. I did 2 days a week when having chemo, 4 days a week during radiotherapy and then full time apart from the days I had my herceptin once every 3 weeks. I look back now and wonder how I did it. I now have a par time job which will go full time in about 12 months. Having a 4 day weekend is having a huge difference to my fatigue and ability to cope. All I can say is don't push yourself and listen to your body. It will let you know what It needs. Good luck. Karen xox

• Loubegg
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks everyone for your Comments.  I think I'll stick with my plan now but sounds like I'm on track and will listen to my body as I go along.  I'm looking forward to having something else to think about

Louise x