Colouring has become a popular form of stress release

Options
Daina_BCNA
Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

I received a colouring in book as a gift from a friend a while back - who thought I may have needed to take some time out for me! I love it!

It took me back to being a child and care free - I allocate an hour a week to sit with my pencils and colouring in book!

(You can pick these up now at bookshops like Dymocks or order online)

• Who has tried this type of stress-relief? 
  • What did you think?

Tagged:

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited July 2015
    Options

I really want one  if those books. I have been reading lots about it. Apparently very good for those of us who don't meditate well. I think I may have mentioned to you that I meditate daily, however spend most of my meditation making mental shopping lists or planning what to have for dinner.

definately plan to get one.

Paula xx 

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2015
    Options

Interesting thing before my young 21yr old Daughter had a break down she began to by coloring books and colour in them, we didn't find them till she was in the psyc unit, they told me it's a revert back to childhood as it was a comfort and took your mind away. Funny how things come about. Adean xx

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited July 2015
    Options

How lovely Daina, there are other books with the Buddhist mandala patterns as well. They are really relaxing to fill in. Awesome that you've found something to keep you busy. Take care, Tracey B ??

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited July 2015
    Options

I first saw these type of books just before I started treatment. A good friend then gave me one as a gift. I haven't done much, but I love it

Lyn

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

I got the Secret Garden version. You can order online via Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Garden-Inky-Treasure-Coloring/dp/1780671067 or in bookstores like Dymocks. There is also Zen tangle which is a style of free hand drawing of structured patterns. So many things to do that keep you in the moment. x

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's definitely one of those items you don't go out and buy for yourself is it but when it is given as a gift - it is just perfect! I think I will have to get a few of my friends a copy as well. I have kept it out on my desk now so I see it when I go into our spare room. :-)

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

The mandala patterns are just amazing as well! When did we grow up and forget about these amazing tools to live in the moment. :-) 

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

The poor thing! It must have been really hard on the whole family. I hope she is doing okay now. x

• HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    edited July 2015
    Options

They look lovely.  I started doing jigsaws through treatment.  When you don't want to sleep, but you don't feel like doing anything else.  They helped my through.  Paulas meditation sounds like mine - my brain just doesn't know when to shut up and jigsaws did it for me.

Pam

• Deb P
    Deb P Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've just come across this post Daina & I love the idea, I enjoy all things arty. I have a few friends who I think may benefit as well from colouring. Thanks for the tip.

Deb

• Janey
    Janey Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2015
    Options

I love colouring and have been doing it on and off for a number of years. I have just bought a few new ones, but also belong to the Riot Art Club and down loaded some from them. I also love colouring in mandalas which are very calming. I am into doing puzzles on my iPad which also helps take you away. Great idea Daina. Ox

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

I love the jigsaw idea Pam. It's the simple things in life isn't it. We just have to 'make the time' - note to self....make the time for me :-)

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

that's great Deb, I am sure your friends will appreciate it, as I have. It doesn't matter who you are, what's going on in your life - taking time to just be in the moment gives an amazing sence of calm. :-)

• Daina_BCNA
    edited July 2015
    Options

The Riot Art club is a great idea and even better that you don't have to 'commit' to buying a colouring in book but you can download what you want.... When you want! :-) thanks for a sharing Janey.

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited July 2015
    Options

Have been trying to think of something to buy a dear friend of mine and am going to order this for her! She will love it. 

Thanks Daina 

Paula xxx