treatment decisions
36 TopicsWaiting, waiting, waiting….
Hi all, diagnosed 1st September, multifocal invasive lobular carcinoma. Surgeons appt scheduled for 17 September. Surgeon has referred me for an mri with contrast. The surgeon completed my biopsies (3) in breast screen clinic, so I’ve met her. My biggest question now is how long do you wait for the mri apointment? They acknowledge receipt of ‘urgent referral’ on 2nd of September and now it’s the 10th, they’re telling me they are waiting on ‘protocols’, my breast care nurse is wonderful and is following it up along with me, how long did you all wait? I thought I was coping not too bad, but today it all just seems really cruel……?202Views1like11CommentsDCIS diagnosis last friday
I found out Friday afternoon that I had DCIS, thought nothing of it till later in the evening when I was doing a bit of research . Totally overwhelmed & unsure what to do now, surgeon is having a team meeting Wednesday & then having a telehealth with me. AtM I’m trying to put together a few questions based on the pathology results I have. I want to be proactive & aggressive in confronting this disease. Any commments or ideas? I have had MRI, needle biopsy, ultrasounds, & then excision. This was all following my sister diagnosis of invasive lobular breast cancer recently. I had no symptoms prior & a negative mammogram last November .104Views0likes2CommentsFirst appointment with a surgeon
So my first appointment with a surgeon is this coming Wednesday. I am going through a public system in Brisbane. Will I be having any tests done on the same day or is it more likely that he will tell me to come back and get the tests done another day ? He’s got my mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy results already. Thank you!156Views0likes7CommentsDiscussion about surgery with Surgeon
Hi all, I have been diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and I have my first meeting with the surgeon on Thursday. I know to expect surgery soon but dont know if this will be lumpectomy or mastectomy. I know that this will be one of the things to discuss on Thursday but I am curious if there is a 'choice' - in a sense part of me just wants to be told which option but I wondered if anyone here made a decision one way or the other and how they felt about that? Am also putting this query in the treatment thread as I have not posted before and not sure which is better for this. Thanks for any thoughts.281Views2likes17CommentsTriple Positive HER2+
Hi everyone BCNA Online Network established a Group with Triple Positive breast cancer which is useful also for people who might be HER2+ but not positive for oestrogen or progesterone. This post is also to alert previously accepted Triple Positive Group members: you might not have been automatically transferred across to the Triple Positive Group with the recent upgrade to the new BCNA Network site. Please do request to rejoin the Group (I did)! Ned01CheriSukiCheriAnna15FeRnurserachMareealsoTriplebreast240Number2CaitySXC1947598Views3likes19CommentsSecond Opinion
Hello 🌸 I’m just wondering if anyone had a second opinion before proceeding with surgery? each time I email the Drs clinic, I feel like I’m fobbed off & just told I have to have surgery (I’m ok with that if all my questions are answered and they haven’t been) not sure how to go about seeking another opinion. Any suggestions?144Views0likes3CommentsBrie321
Hi recently I had my first yearly mammogram following lumpectomy and radiation for stage one IDC. Unfortunately the radiologist found calcifications. I was therefore referred for a vacuum assisted biopsy via mammogram. This was done 3 weeks after finding the calcifications it was difficult to find a radiologist to carry this out. The night of the biopsy I had a major bleed into the breast. I was admitted to hospital for 3 days and no treatment given. Both the doctors in the ER and my breast surgeon stated they hadn't seen anything like this before. Now 3 weeks later I have 3 large haematomas in my breast and I cannot proceed with the lumpectomy my surgeon wants to carry out on the the intermediate grade dcis I was diagnosed with. My dilemma is do I ask the surgeon to evacuate the clots. My breast is so deformed and heavy it would be a relief to do something about it. My surgeon is seeking advice from colleagues. I think if I wait for it to absorb it will take a very long time. Has anyone else gone through this. I have a lot of pressure in the breast and concerned what it might do to underlying tissue.. Thanks for reading this far.205Views1like9CommentsRecommendations-North Brisbane -Public v Private- Surgeons
Hi Everyone, I do hope everyone is travelling as well as they can be. Was hoping to hear of experiences and recommendations about Public v Private -North Brisbane. My GP has advised if I choose to go private then I need to find surgeon and they can send referral. Not sure where to start…have rang some surgeons, am feeling like I am looking for a needle in a haystack. Has anyone had experiences with going private and having significant out of pocket expenses? Or going Public and what wait times/facilities are like, that they are comfortable in sharing. Preliminary advice is that it is likely treatment will be Chemotherapy then surgery, nothing confirmed until appointment with surgeon.596Views0likes11CommentsWrite off 6 to 12 months?
I was given a diagnosis today of small tumor, early invasive breast cancer, double hormone positive and I have an appointment with surgeon in 1 week. At just-turned-60, the next 9 months were supposed to include 2 sons' graduations, 1 son's wedding (a family first), our 25th wedding celebration, a road trip to find-purchase-or-build a new home in a tree-change location in another state, and downsizing-packing-relocating. Surgeon and nurse at breast clinic today seemed to think "we can work around things" ...is that realistic? What is the most valuable question to ask the surgeon, next week, re time frames and realistic expectations? Thanks.450Views2likes7Comments