Compression sleeves

SoldierCrab
SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
edited February 2017 in Day to day
OK ladies want some feedback if I can  
I have a TSL full sleeve with shoulder bit and strap to under the other arm.... 
we are very hot here with this weather and I am wondering has anyone showered with it on and left it on ? 
I had hell this morning trying to get it on as we didn't cool down last night here in Bathurst and it is extreme again today and tomorrow thinking I would l  shower in it pat dry but leave on 
Has anyone else done this in their sleeves of any brand ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    I haven't tried showering with mine on.  I know what you mean about how it's difficult to get on when your skin is wet and clammy.  I tried googling it but didn't get a definitive answer.  There was a suggestion that you can wear a wet one but also that it could irritate your skin.  Can you ask your physio?  Please post when you get an answer.  Good luck. Karen 
  • SoldierCrab
    Yes will do ... 

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Sorry can't help on that one. Mine is remarkably cool once on but it's a real struggle to get it on on hot humid mornings. I've put mine on when still a bit damp with no ill effect at all, but never got it really wet.
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,325
    Welcome to my world, I live in FNQ!!!! I find that putting talc or some other sort of powder on your arm helps to dry your arn enough to help get them on.  I think wearing them wet may actually cause stretching and damage to the garment.
    Hugs
    Paula xxx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    In this hot weather rather than wearing the sleeve I have been having a wet t towel wrapped around my arm and in particular in my arm pit and the mastectomy scar as that's where it gets really hot. I can be quite cool but those spots get hot.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hello all, Here's a blurb I found in relation to sleeves 
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    I was advised to use Curash talc (baby powder) to help get the sleeve on - works well as my arm gets really sweaty, especially in this weather. Have also been recently advised to use an antibacterial moisturiser (not just Sorborlene type) on my arm as I have a skin reaction quite often with the sleeve when it gets damp so am thinking a wet sleeve may not be recommended; also for the reasons Paula suggested. Hopefully it will cool down soon though it is a killer wearing these things  :(
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,325
    I forgot the rubber gloves, also excellent to grab the sleeve and pull on. If all this fails you can get a special donning thing that makes it really easy to get on. Your lymphedema therapist should be able to order one. They are silky material. 
    Hope it cools down for you soon. Paula x
  • Andij
    Andij Member Posts: 115

I haven't tried showering with mine on.  I know what you mean about how it's difficult to get on when your skin is wet and clammy.  I tried googling it but didn't get a definitive answer.  There was a suggestion that you can wear a wet one but also that it could irritate your skin.  Can you ask your physio?  Please post when you get an answer.  Good luck. Karen 

Do you use a special application sleeve to get your compression sleeve on? ( Can't think what it is called lol)
  • SoldierCrab
    HI all I see my lymphodema therapist tomorrow will be asking.  
    I normally get it on with help from my son but with the really hot weather it was a struggle as my arm seemed to be swelling more than usual... overnight ... I went with my gut instinct and showered and left it on about hour before going to bed and left it on overnight. The cold change came thru and we are now at reasonable summer temps and I took it off last night like usual no irritation but I will be checking with the therapist tomorrow. 

• Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    I don't use a special gadget to put on the sleeve, but I use a green gardening glove to move it up my arm.  I have a friend who uses the ESY-AS.  Her sleeve is very tight or inflexible and she swears by it.  The slippy gadgets also look good.  I might try the talc too. Here is a web site with quite a few gadgets for helping don the sleeves:

http://www.lymphedemaproducts.com/products/plastic-nylon-donning-doffing-aids.html

good luck and keep us posted.  Karen 
  • Andij

HI all I see my lymphodema therapist tomorrow will be asking.  
    I normally get it on with help from my son but with the really hot weather it was a struggle as my arm seemed to be swelling more than usual... overnight ... I went with my gut instinct and showered and left it on about hour before going to bed and left it on overnight. The cold change came thru and we are now at reasonable summer temps and I took it off last night like usual no irritation but I will be checking with the therapist tomorrow. 

Oh no, don't battle on. The slippy sleeve thingies (lol) make it soooooo very much easier:) 
  • Andij

I don't use a special gadget to put on the sleeve, but I use a green gardening glove to move it up my arm.  I have a friend who uses the ESY-AS.  Her sleeve is very tight or inflexible and she swears by it.  The slippy gadgets also look good.  I might try the talc too. Here is a web site with quite a few gadgets for helping don the sleeves:

http://www.lymphedemaproducts.com/products/plastic-nylon-donning-doffing-aids.html

good luck and keep us posted.  Karen 

Great link. Thank yu Karen:)
    Share Member Posts: 217

Hi ladies,

I saw my lymphedema therapist yesterday and picked up an early Valentines gift - my new compression garment with half hand in built !

I also purchased an ESY-AS device to help with the garment - it is impossible to put on without it, even with assistance because of the half hand glove thingy.

I practiced a few times last night putting on the garment with my hubby - a bit like going to Ikea and getting a flat pack !

Then my 15 year old son assisted this morning before we went off to work/school - took about 10 minutes to get it right. Oh, well, practice makes perfect I guess.

My therapist also recommended the rubber gloves - cheap ones that I carry with me in my handbag just in case I need to adjust any wrinkles throughout the day.

I have not worn mine in the shower but tried to put  my previous one on once whilst it was still slightly damp - bit of a trial and the silky undergarment split as the gauntlet was too tight !

Oh, the trials and tribulations.