Here is some Research I came across...

melclarity
melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
edited February 2017 in General discussion
Hey Everyone!

A friend of mine who had Breast Cancer about 2yrs ago, got some blood results recently and they showed a high reading of Oestrogen and she was confused as she is on Tamoxifen.  So we came across this research from the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Thought it was interesting. 

Hugs have  great day everyone! Melinda xo

Comments

• RNSW
    RNSW Member Posts: 121
    Hi Melinda, I hope you’re recovering well from surgery. This is good to know! I always get copies of my bloodwork and go through it. Rita xo 
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    Hi Mel, hope you are doing OK. I saw that too and it seems to be a particular issue with the aromatase inhibitors but it is interesting that your friend on Tamoxifen is getting high readings. It's certainly a concerning finding that some of these tumours are evolving to produce their own type of oestrogen  :/
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Well that research just sends shivers right through me knowing that my cancer was as a result of too much oestrogen.  My recent blood tests everything is normal but that still doesn't stop the shivers!!
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    My understanding of how Tamoxifen works is that it does not block the production of estrogen at all. It binds with estrogen therefore preventing that estrogen from being able to bind with any cancer cells. I guess it would therefore follow that the higher your levels of estrogen the more chance that Tamoxifen will not be able to bind with all of it and those rotten cancer cells might have more chance of getting to it first or instead.

I know that when I was on Tamoxifen my estrogen levels were checked regularly by my oncologist and when they got a bit high at the 18month mark (high enough for my periods to restart) then it was recommended that I have my ovaries removed. I then swapped to an aromatase inhibitor (Femara) which is what this research is saying might be the thing that tumors can get around by beginning to produce their own aromatase. Good that they are looking into this further! So much research going on which is a good thing.
  • melclarity
    Hi Rita,  my surgery is feb 27th x

Jane doing ok saw my exercise physiologist today struggled a little as 2 days on my feet at work really took its toll.

I thought it very interesting that 1/3 of cases Tamoxifen doesn't work. I also wonder too if this is what happened to me with my recurrence. Also why Arimidex works better my Oncologist said i wonder if thats because being oost menopause as chemo threw me into that. Whilst 4yrs on tamoxifen i never had bloods done and didnt have an oncologist only my surgeon as i had radiation only in 2011 after lumpectomy then tamoxifen. 

Deanne my take on the whole thing is like yours. Im glad theres so much research going on too! my friend will ask to switch to another inhibitor. She automatically thought of me and wondered if this possibly is what happened to me.  The research will help so much with this and hopefully stopping some recurrence.  

Iserbrown it does make you shiver but knowledge is power.  X 

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors are completely different treatments. Both intended to starve hormone receptive cancers, but they do it in different ways.
    Joy, oh joy, to hear this stinking disease has figured out a way around what I thought was my best chance of survival. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Exactly sends shivers right through me
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Yes I read that. Horrible adaptive buggers. Bring on the research.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Thanks Melinda. At least they have discovered this and now can use the knowledge gained for more effective treatment.
    Share Member Posts: 217
    Thanks Melinda - sneaky little buggers trying everything to get around current thinking and treatment ! 

When I was diagnosed with secondary bc with bony mets, I asked my oncologist  "why did it return when I had chemo, mastectomy, radiotherapy and continued years of Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Femara ( over my pre and post menopausal journey), when a bone scan 3 years earlier was clear?" I was told that sometimes the cell blockers simply stop working & the cells "switch back on". 

Crazy, frightening stuff though - I see my oncologist in 10 days time - I will certainly discuss this with her. 

Hope you are doing ok, @melclarity <3

Sheryl xx 
  • melclarity
    Hey All!!! yes sneaky little buggers, unbelievable but so great that they are working this stuff out, because its going to help us all so much! Sheryl! That is CRAZY!!!! I believe thats what happened too with my recurrence, it stopped working, which is alarming and I had Radiotherapy too, so at the time Im like how??? but the more they learn and know the better they are going to get at developing better treatments and that is what we absolutely want!!! Sheryl I think you're incredible, honestly! after everything youve been through and continue to go through. Let us know how you go with your Oncologist! Thanks Sheryl!!! yes Im doing ok, had a very hectic stressful week and have decided to reach out to a Psychologist who I saw about 3 years ago who helped me through the sudden death of my Mum, and my marriage breakdown and then Breast Cancer all in 2yrs. Looking forward to nutting some things out with her about the Surgery and how Im feeling.

Big Hugs!!!! xoxoxo
  • Kathyjane
    Kathyjane Member Posts: 97
    i have decided not to have Tamoxifen just yet.. I have just finished Radiotherapy 3 weeks ago.. I will get another blood test done very soon and keep an eye on my estrogen levels... mine was ER positive and Testosterone positive but HER2 negative... dont think my Oncologist will be happy but we will work around it.. apparently im Post Meno as well and didnt even know until my last blood results came back in Nov..  
    Share Member Posts: 217

Hey @melclarity - so glad you have decided to reach out to a psychologist.

About 6 months ago I thought I was doing "okay" but realised I needed somebody to help me feel less bitter and therefore feel better about my outlook on life. :) 

• melclarity
    Sheryl absolutely, and I think we know our limits don't we? not having my kids around has tipped me to be honest, not coping and after 6yrs hard slog raising them, but I want them to do well and theyre not far away and will visit. Timing just sucks I guess. So am looking forward to friday my appointment. Im so glad you did that too! as its hard to find a good outlook sometimes especially with whatever your diagnosis is. Hugs xo