Famous breast cancer survivors

Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
Kathy Bates
I was watching the old Misery movie last night starring Kathy Bates. Younger movie watchers will remember her as Molly Brown the oil widow on Titanic. What I didn't know is Kathy is a breast cancer survivor. Born in 1948, Kathy successfully overcame ovarian cancer in 2003. In 2012 she had a double mastectomy with breast cancer. Kathy didn't marry until she was 43 and divorced 6 years later. She has no children.
Kathy also has lymphedema in both arms and is National spokesperson for the Lymphatic Education & Research Network (LE&RN) and has been actively involved in lymphedema and lymphatic disease advocacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Bates

Comments

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    I love Kathy Bates. Have you ever seen Fried Green Tomatoes? Great movie.

There are many famous women (and a few men) that have been affected by breast cancer. Right here at home, we've got our very own Raelene Boyle, Kylie Minogue, and Olivia Newton-John. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited December 2016
    Always good to read about survivors. And of course there is Christina Applegate (well known for her role in Married with Children) who carries the BRAC1 gene and was diagnosed with an early stage breast cancer in 2008. She also has done a lot for fundraising and promotion of breast cancer awareness. Her mother also is a breast cancer survivor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Applegate
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Add Dame Maggie Smith to the list.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Don't forget the wonderful Cheryl Crowe!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    There are lots ladies!!!! Woo Hoo! Cynthia Nixon from Sex and the City, Carly Simon - Singer, Jaclyn Smith - Charlies Angels. 
  • Demica
    Demica Member Posts: 1
    Add Anastacia. I love that Anastacia ('All out of love,' singer) chose to share her scars in a beautiful photo shoot. She is such an inspiration. Her photos tell the world that we should not be ashamed of our scars. 
    There is not a lot of pretty with what comes with BC: sadness, loss, surgery, post-surgery, hair loss, fatigue, chemo, post-chemo...so it is good to be reminded, as we are travelling a similar journey, that something beautiful can be in store, after this time passes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3960458/I-used-resent-feel-extremely-empowered-Anastacia-reveals-mastectomy-scars-time-poses-naked-stunning-new-shoot.html

Love reading your posts.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey Demica, Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting about Anastacia - she's such an awesomely strong woman anyway and I had no idea she was a BC survivor. Excellent!!!
  • Beckyw
    Beckyw Member Posts: 21
    Great minds think alike! I was watching Misery on xmas eve! Love Kathy Bates! Didnt know she was a survivor too ☺️☺️☺️
  • Chabrittson
    Chabrittson Member Posts: 23
    Singer Melissa Etheridge is also a breast cancer survivor
  • ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Sally obermeder from channel 7 also had breast cancer! She just had her second baby through a surrogate after being diagnosed the day before her daughter was born 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Shannon Doherty is currently going through treatment for breast cancer. She is posting incredibly raw and honest accounts & photos of her diagnosis and treatment but with a beautiful edge of optimism. I think so many of us could relate to her thoughts. Wonderful to see a "celebrity" doing some good by sharing their personal lives. x
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    And while she didn't have breast cancer Angelina Jolie certainly had the faulty BRCA gene and chose double mastectomy and removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes.