Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Immunotherapy trial

Lizzie13
Lizzie13 Dragonfly Posts: 46
edited December 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer
Just to keep you all updated who are not on our TNBC FB page. I am living with Mets to my bones and 3 weeks ago was diagnosed with liver mets. I am extremely fortunate that my oncologist is so onto it and I was enrolled in an immunotherapy trial the day I was diagnosed (that coincidently opened the following week). Monday of this week I found out I had been accepted and was in the double arm group. The two drugs are CPI-444 and Atezolizumab. Atezo is a fortnightly IV infusion and the CPI-444 (which I loving pet-named my Star Wars cure) is a twice daily tablet. Both drugs have different actions but in short are turning on my immune system to help fight the cancer cells.
On Tuesday of this week they closed the Triple Negative Breasts Cancer arm as it was full so I got into this trial by the skin of my teeth. There have been a lot of uncanny coincidences regarding this trial and I am hoping they all mean I am being looked after and was just "meant" to be on it.
It is ground breaking technology for those of us with Stage IV TNBC and so far (and if successful which pre-clinical trials have shown) will be the only targeted therapy for us. I feel so privileged and honoured to be a part of this and already feel like my body is different. I am more active, getting up at 5am instead of 8, less tired and have an achy hip (which is a good thing haha - cannot be more mets cos it was all dug out when they replaced my hip earlier this year).
I am happy to keep everyone updated with the trial and how things are going, I have my first diagnostic scan in 3 months and the trial is for 2 years.

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi Lizzie - reading your post I got the impression that the stars are lining up for you, how good is that!  That is fantastic that you have got onto this new trail.  I wish you all the best with the trial and wish you all the best for the Season
    Seasons Greetings

Take care
  • Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    Hi Lizzie, here's hoping the Star Wars cure works powerfully for you :) Sure sounds like someone is looking out for you. I hope the scans show huge improvement for you and I'm so glad you are feeling better already. Xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    How wonderful you are on it. Would love to here how you go with it. Fingers and toes crossed it is a great success. Kath x
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    How wonderful that we are living in this country with the opportunity to be part of ground breaking trials.  So happy you were selected Lizzie, I love your positivity.  I too believe much of life comes down to timing and it looks like you were meant to be on your Star Wars trial!  I so hope it is successful and  look forward to hearing your results in 3 months.  Take care, Jane xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    How wonderful you are on it. Would love to here how you go with it. Fingers and toes crossed it is a great success. Kath x
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Oooh Lizzie I think the force may be with you  :) . All the best with the trial and it's excellent that your feeling benefits already. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you. Xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Nice one Lizzie. Keep us informed. :)
  • scarf lady
    scarf lady Dragonfly Posts: 26
    Lizzie13, I do hope your trial is progressing well. I have just begun an Immuniotheraphy drug (Keytruda) for mTNBC as I have fit the final wall without success. I was on a trial last year and early this year that looked promising but after 6 months the cancer spread to my lungs. I'm interested in contacting anyone that has trialed or is using an Immuniotheraphy drug.