Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Hair loss whilst not having treatment

angg66
angg66 Member Posts: 188
Hi ladies,

Has anyone experienced hair loss even though they are not having treatment? I am currently not on chemo or doing any treatment for my mets, yet in the last few weeks my hair is falling out. I haven't done any  chemo since July this year when I took Xeloda for two weeks and ended up in hospital. Anyway my oncologist told me I wouldn't lose my hair on Xeloda. Not sure why I'm losing my hair so much. Everytime I wash my hair, I have a handful of hair coming out and my pillow is full when I wake up in the morning. Any suggestions? Any solutions? This is really upsetting me. 

Thanks Ange

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Stress can cause  it plus  many other drugs and health  conditions. I think you should  have an appt with your GP to discuss. Xoleda can cause hair loss...but that was some  time ago so you wouldn't think it woild be now. Hope you find solutions  soon.

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/mobileart-rx.asp?drug=xeloda&monotype=rx-desc&monopage=0

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I started losing a bit of hair 2 years ago, well and truly over chemo. Not a lot but like you, far more on my brush particularly after washing than I normally had. I had a lot of tests as I was concerned about it (once I was prepared for but not another round with no clear reason) but there was absolutely no clear reason apart from a bit of dandruff! I just took a lot of trouble not to damage my hair further, treated my hair very carefully and the problem has settled. I still lose more hair than I used to but well within the normal daily shedding. It might be stress although there was certainly no particular trigger, might be age
  • PaulaN
    PaulaN Member Posts: 237
    Hi Ange I lost my hair while on Anastrozle & its taken ages to grow back (about 1cm in 8 months) even though I stopped taking it. Weird thing ~ I was always blondish and its growing back really dark.
    Paula 
  • Ellie_BCNA
    Ellie_BCNA Member Posts: 10

Hi Ange

Thanks for posting your
    question. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing hair loss. As Primek says, it
    might be a good idea to talk to your GP about why this is happening for you at
    the moment.

BCNA has prepared a fact
    sheet for people experiencing hair loss related to chemotherapy. It is
    available
    here,
    and has some suggestions for how to manage hair loss.

Ellie

• PaulaN
    edited December 2016
    Ange I forgot to mention that I got a few of synthetic wigs from ebay.  One looked like Ozzie Osborne & the others were great. One was so good that I wore it at my wedding. I tried to post a pic to show you but it didnt work, if you want to see them PM me & I'll do it there
    Paula 
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    @PaulaN would you like some help getting the picture up?
  • PaulaN
    Yes please Ann-Marie
  • PaulaN
    Ok Angie I'v been given help re downloading pics so I'll try again. This is an ebay wig, if you want the shop let me know
  • primek
    @PaulaN lovely pics
  • PaulaN
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Primek. Not bad wigs for under $20 I'm really happy with it
  • primek
    Looks much better than my loan one. I just wore scarves because it looked so awful.
  • angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    Hi Paula. You looked fantastic. What a great looking wig! Can you please let me know the name of the shop. 

thanks Ange
  • Amazonia
    Amazonia Member Posts: 40
    Hi Paula,
    your wig looked so good, I was inspired.
    had just decided to visit a respected (and expensive) wig shop in the eastern suburbs but thought I'd check out eBay first and take a punt.
    Found an amazing looking wig and sent off for it, believing that it might be too good to be true but was so surprised when it arrived to find that it is amazing style and quality. 
    Feels like real hair and bounces and sits amazingly well.
    so, thank you for the tip. 
    If anyone is interested the shop is -  buster10d - brand  = Kim's wigs 
    it's Based in London but very little postage cost and quick delivery.
    Hope this helps.
    A.
  • Amazonia
    Amazonia Member Posts: 40
    just thought I'd post pic as above. True to photo and silky soft. $25 plus $7 postage. Something like this can make all the difference and perk you up..

• Hannah_BCNA
    Hannah_BCNA Member Posts: 9
    @PaulaN You look lovely! That wig is unrecognisable!:smile: