first blog

grover
grover Member Posts: 14
edited October 2010 in General discussion

Hi, this is my first entry, having read other peoples stories  i have decided to add my own.  it is a condensed version, but if anyone would like some more  info please feel free to ask me. not exactly sure how i feel about doing this, i keep deleting what i've written...and then sitting here waiting to hit the post button, well here we go..

Comments

• KayP
    KayP Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

Welcome aboard, I'm a newby as well. First blog was last week. I am still trying to figure out how to use this website effectively.

I''m glad to hear you have such great support from your family, I have a 17 year old daughter and my diagnosis and treatment has been very difficult for her. There is no denying a fear factor in all of this for all of us and kids don't always tell us what they are thinking.

Happy to communicate more if you like. Feel free to add me as a contact.

Kay

• KayP
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

Welcome aboard, I'm a newby as well. First blog was last week. I am still trying to figure out how to use this website effectively.

I''m glad to hear you have such great support from your family, I have a 17 year old daughter and my diagnosis and treatment has been very difficult for her. There is no denying a fear factor in all of this for all of us and kids don't always tell us what they are thinking.

Happy to communicate more if you like. Feel free to add me as a contact.

Kay

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

Welcome, great profile picture, you look great!!  Short hair really suits you.  A girlfriend and I used to laugh when people would say that to us during chemo.  We thought that it was something they would say when they didn't know what to say!!!  lol  And here I am saying it to you, but I really do mean it....

I was diagnosed in 2007 so I am a little way out now and the further I get away from that day the better I feel and every day I feel better and better and more positive about a long life.

I guess we all want to live a long and happy life and get through the whole Breast cancer experience without too many emotional and physical scars.

Talk some more soon.

Tanya xx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

Welcome, great profile picture, you look great!!  Short hair really suits you.  A girlfriend and I used to laugh when people would say that to us during chemo.  We thought that it was something they would say when they didn't know what to say!!!  lol  And here I am saying it to you, but I really do mean it....

I was diagnosed in 2007 so I am a little way out now and the further I get away from that day the better I feel and every day I feel better and better and more positive about a long life.

I guess we all want to live a long and happy life and get through the whole Breast cancer experience without too many emotional and physical scars.

Talk some more soon.

Tanya xx

• starsinmypockets
    starsinmypockets Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy,

I am new too (as of last week) and I too didn't know how I felt about all this but I love it now. I have found some wonderful people here who are so lovely and supportive. 

I read your story and I think you are wonderful - you are so very positive which is really inspirational as I tend to find myself in the doldrums sometimes, especially of late. 

It is interesting what you say about friends drifting etc - I have noticed that too. I have found this whole cancer thing a curious study in human behaviour!

Anyway, well done for having the guts to join. Keep blogging!

Sara x

• starsinmypockets
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy,

I am new too (as of last week) and I too didn't know how I felt about all this but I love it now. I have found some wonderful people here who are so lovely and supportive. 

I read your story and I think you are wonderful - you are so very positive which is really inspirational as I tend to find myself in the doldrums sometimes, especially of late. 

It is interesting what you say about friends drifting etc - I have noticed that too. I have found this whole cancer thing a curious study in human behaviour!

Anyway, well done for having the guts to join. Keep blogging!

Sara x

• grover
    edited March 2015

Hi tanya, thank you for the compliments, i now accept them all!!!! I have actually looked quite well all the way through my treatment, apart from when i had a sinus infection at christmas.  in fact one of my friends said if she didn't know what i was going through she would have just thought i was having a bad day or two.  when i had my first appointment with my oncologist he told me all his ladies worked, i thought no way, but i must admit it did help, there were some days when i just didn;t want to get out of bed, but almost always felt better having made the effort. and i think it was better for my teenage kids too. obviously i couldn't be that sick if i was still going to work, etc.

I am now having to get used to having curly hair,  i have always had straight hair, but i just leave it in the hands of my hairdresser..who i trust completely (not may women can say that) when my hair came back it was grey,  i was given a lot of conflicting advice, i was told not to colour it, but to use natural hair products, or even henna.  so i went to may hairdresser of fourteen years and held my breath when she washed the colour off and was very pleased to see it still on my head and a beautiful rich brown colour...

i guess you summed it up, in that we all want to live a long and happy life, and obviously scars heal eventually.

take care ,

kathy x x

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy -- I don't think I said welcome yet, so 'welcome' ;).  Feel free to ask any time if you need a hand using the network.

• KayP
    edited March 2015

Hi Annie

I really hope that all goes well with your appointments in the next couple of days. I'll be thinking of you! I hope you have the support you need to get through the week without worrying too much.

I know what you mean about the hot spells - having one right now! It kind of takes the fun out of going to bed knowing that you are going to wake up in a sweat  all the time.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Kay

• grover
    edited March 2015

Hi Di,

thanks for the welcome.  think this site is wonderful.  although it would be better if we didn't need to have one in the first place, if you know what i mean?  it's good to be in contact with people who know exactly what you are going through, even though everyone experiences it differently.

take care

kathy x x

• grover
    edited March 2015

hope the bone density check and your apt with the oncol was ok?  I have been taking tamoxifen since march, and i am having hot flushes and night sweats but i must admit they seemed to have calmed down a lot, on the other hand i haven't had a period for twelve months, so thats a plus!  I am still having problems with my memory, i never remember taking my tablet, only for the fact i have it with a glass of pomegranate juice at breakfast, i know i've taken it. I don't think the "cancer ghost" will ever go away, every time i get an ache or pain i think it's come back. i have changed my diet  sightly but i don't take vitamins i have just increased my fresh veg and fruit intake, i'm scared to take anything in case it interfers with the tamoxifen!!! But i still have a couple of glasses of wine or beer at weekend.

take care

kathy x x

• starsinmypockets
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy,

I just read your message to Annie. Just on the Tamoxifen thing - my mother in law is a pharmacist and she works for the Poison Centre. They have all sorts of comprehensive drug info there and I asked her to print me off the stuff for Tamoxifen. It seems that no other drugs really interact with it so I would say check with your doctor first but don't not take things just for that. 

If you want me to photocopy and post the info to you, let me know. It talks about EVERYTHING to do with Tamoxifen.

x Sara