hair return

Kester
Kester Member Posts: 38
edited October 2016 in Health and wellbeing
I had the last chemo on 17th August and I am wonde ring when my hair will start growing back. I never lost it all completely just have a scattering of very fine hair but my scalp is well and truly visible.  It doesnt seem to be even starting to grow again yet.  How long is normal lbefore it starts to look like hair again. I find the wig I have looks lovely but gives me a headache before  to long.  Wouldn't mind so much but the new oncologist told me when he visited me in hospital while I was fighting infections brought on by the loss of imunity from chemo that I should never have been given chemo as it was not the right treatment for the type of cancer I have. Not happy Jan. Anywait can't undo what has been done so I would just like some feedback on the hair regrowth bit, Kester.
Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited September 2016
    I had 3x FEC and 3 x Docetaxel chemo finishing 19 Sept back in 2013. It took 9 weeks for some five o-clock shadow to appear and this was me 3 1/2 months after that last chemo. I started going out in public without any wig or cover at about the 4 1/2 month stage. I felt my hair growth was very slow for about 12 months but then it seemed to get back to normal. My hair used to be much thicker but that could be the effects of early menopause and hormone therapy drugs too. Hope yours gets a move along for you very soon. xoxo

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    I had my last chemo on 22 Feb. It wasn't until May that it really started to grow back. The following photos are taken in May, June and then August. It has grown back quite thick and curly, whereas before it was totally straight and fine. I haven't had it cut yet.

• Kester
    thank you so much. I will have to be patient. I feel better about it now. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I had  4 x AC then weekly taxol and herceptin. My hair began to grow back on taxol. ..except none  at tje front at all (like a man's receding hairline) and my eyelashes and eyebrows completely dissappeared after finishing. 8 weeks on  my hair line is returning with fine hair and eyebrows and lashes are suddenly appearing....tiny but there.
  • Bevkk
    Bevkk Member Posts: 26
    Hi ladies
    thankyou for your photos. I have just completed my taxol treatment today and was wondering the same thing. Looks like I still have quite a few months of wearing caps, turbans and my wig. 
    Bev

• Kester
    Thanks for your input ladies. I know I am not alone xx
  • Rachel01
    Rachel01 Member Posts: 26
    Hi all, I had my last chemo on 8 Sept and I am getting some fine hair on the sides but nothing much happening on the top. No sign of eyebrows or eyelashes unfortunately.  I'm due back at work in 4 weeks and will be wearing my wig.  I don't know how I'll go wearing it all day as I don't do that now.  Cant wait to have my own hair back x
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi all, it took me 10wks from last chemo for a few hairs to sprout. It was about 4mths to a 1cm buzz cut look.I wore head bands at that point. Then 8 mths till I had a short curly look- I had it trimmed and coloured at that point. It was painfully slow and I was sooo over the head gear and the 'chemo cancer'look. Hang in there.xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I want you hair Nadi, too many new greys in mine lol. :)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502

This was me 8 weeks post chemo on my Birthday in February. It was slow white/grey....and CURLY!!! after a few months.
    This is me now 9 months post chemo, I have had 2 trims, going for my 3rd next week and colouring it again LOL I straighten it as it is soooo curly!!! 

You absolutely will get there, don't panic, give it a few months yet! 
    Hugs Melinda xo

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @melclarity your hair looks fab. Did you stay white/grey. Mine is the same colour and most definitely wasn't before chemo.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Thanks Kath! I started out white then it turned grey, then it went dark, was like a real salt and pepper made me look 60! so my hairdresser helped by coloring it as soon as I could have a haircut and able to color. Work in progress but Im really happy the curls are starting to relax the longer it gets. I had long blonde hair before, so long way from that which I dont want anymore. xo
  • Kester
    Hi melclarity, your hair looks great. I have to learn patience. Thanks for the pics xx
  • Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    This is my first 10 months hair calendar, month by month.  Hope this helps give you an idea.
    I was blessed with chemo curls x

hair.jpg 243.4K
  • Kester
    Thanks Ne, looks beautiful.