A teacher called cancer....

ScorpionQueen
ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
LIFE ……

Available for a limited time only.  Limit one (1) per person.  Non-transferrable.  Subject to change without notice.  Terms and conditions apply.  Fragile.  Handle with care.

I have always been a compassionate person, especially toward the elderly but when someone is ill my empathy gauge is turned onto full steam ahead.....No matter how I'm feeling, I will try to help them and offer support...

Cancer had changed my life way before it got to me. That bitch has taken many of my family and friends... I have seen the ups and downs....the pain,.... the turmoil....the destruction....but now I have FELT it for myself....

When I heard those words 'You have cancer' I thought I would burst into tears......tears did make their way to my eyes, but that's as far as they went.....I took a deep breath and said "OK, what now?"

From that day on a steely determination took up residence in my mind....everything else was pushed aside.....I remember the many appointments....the information, oh the bloody information! So much is thrown at you, your brain keeps what it can cope with and spits the rest out like a sour grape...I became Wonder Woman.

Offers of love, cooked meals, gifts, help and support came left, right and centre.....some didn't know what to say, some said silly, but well meaning things.....some (my own siblings and mother) wanted nothing to do with it or me....

I have been discussed in locked rooms at big tables by many medical professionals, poked, prodded, scanned, xrayed, drained of blood, injected with dye, blasted with liquid chemicals, cut open, had parts cut off, instructed to swallow this tablet and that tablet, lost all of my hair, had to put up with countless side effects, told they don't know if what we are doing has got rid of the cancer entirely..all while being told I'm doing really well. Really? I feel like the walking dead....have skin like a shedding snake, look like Uncle Fester and you still say I'm doing really well??

Some days have been an absolute train wreck....crying, depression, anger, "why me?", wanting to shrink away and not be noticed....some have been triumphant.....most are just mundane.

Mundane is a big part of recovery....you can't do much so you tend to do things in fits and starts and then you must just sit......or rest......or sleep.....or rest.....or sleep. I have slept so much I am wondering if I will sleep at all once I've fully recovered!

Although it gets on my nerves some days....I have become comfortable with mundane....it's my new normal for now....I have spent way too many days and nights beating myself up for not being stronger, for thinking I'm a wimp....why aren't I out jogging like some other women are saying they're doing......I have learnt that we are all different, cope differently and have entirely different treatments.....I thought it was one generic type for all......WRONG!

Who would think that such an insidious disease could teach us.....Cancer is like that horrible teacher you hated in school....She stands at the front of the class, barking her orders and delivering despair....With one swift flick of her hand, your day and mood can change.....but as much as you hated her, her actions and deliverance stick in your memory and shape you....

She has taught me many things when it happened to others.....But now it is MY classroom that she is in, her lesson has made an impact....

Cancer has taught me.....

~ family IS everything.
~ i really do have some amazing friends.
~ not to take things and life for granted.
~ perspective - seeing things and the world in a totally different light.
~ not to sweat the small stuff.
~ who is really important and who isn't.
~ shown me the true courage of not only myself, but others.
~ that the laundry, housework and such are not priority....unless you have no underwear left!
~ to be kind to myself.
~ to accept help (Finally!)
~ feel and face fear, but do it anyway.
~ value the good and the bad.
~ that I am stronger and more resillient than I ever imagined.
~ to cry......ALOT
~ that I AM worthy
~ patience......this is something that was and still is tested the most!

I am sure there are so many more things, but these are the ones that are most important to me...

I am grateful.... grateful for my husband, (his) "my" family, my children, my friends.....the strangers that I have become "friends' with through this experience, my doctors, nurses and those that work tirelessly behind the scenes researching, trailing and getting closer to finding a cure for this bitch of a disease.......

........and in an ironic way,  the lesson that cancer has delivered..

Comments

• Jodie123
    Jodie123 Member Posts: 14
    Beautifully written. xx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Yes, yes and yes - you have covered it all so well. So glad you posted this.  Big hug. xx  Michelle
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    So eloquently put! It's a so and so that brings the unexpected and seemingly keeps on giving. Sending you a virtual hug from Christine xx 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    You have put so perfectly into words what so many of us feel.  It brought a smile and a tear and reminded me of my blessings - thank you ScorpionQueen xxo

• Melhay
    Melhay Member Posts: 157
    Love the raw honesty of this post.
    Thankyou for eloquently expressing how many of us feel about our intimate relationship with this challenging disease  xxx
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    Good post I think we all can relate x
  • Fiona2
    Fiona2 Member Posts: 69
    saying it as it is..and how we feel.
    Thank you x
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    This is beautiful ScorpionQueen ... I would like to ask permission to copy this and print it in my next newsletter  for our local support group as it says exactly what we all think feel and deal with as we go thorough this bloody journey we dont ask to embark on. 
    big hugs 
    Alice 

• Bluewren
    Bluewren Member Posts: 91
    Well said. Thank-you for sharing your words. Hugs. Xx
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    :star: who is really important and who isn't. 
    :star: 
    to accept help
    *applaud*
  • ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768

This is beautiful ScorpionQueen ... I would like to ask permission to copy this and print it in my next newsletter  for our local support group as it says exactly what we all think feel and deal with as we go thorough this bloody journey we dont ask to embark on. 
    big hugs 
    Alice 

Yes of course! Anything to support others going through this.... <3
    Tracy Xx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Thank you Tracy xxox
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Scorpion Queen...what an honest incredibly raw account.

I FELT every ounce of what you wrote...I cried...I laughed. THANK YOU for encapsulating the entire experience, every word every feeling resonated for me.

We all have such different journeys, but not one less than the other...stand strong we certainly are Courage, Strength and determination coated in love! 

I admit, having traveled this experience twice in 4yrs, I found it incredibly difficult being divorced and a single parent, with very little support. But God always has a plan...I feel blessed for the Man who walked into my life a few months before my 2nd diagnosis, who shaved his head when I went bald...who never flinched and still chooses the road with me. My amazing children who had to step up and learn the harshness of life at the tender age of 12 & 14 and the roller coaster life can be, losing my Mum suddenly followed by my marriage, my home...to find our piece of happiness within 6 months diagnosed with Breast Cancer....then 4yrs later diagnosed again. Determined and relentless carried my daughter through Depression and VCE whilst doing 4.5months of Chemo...VICTORIOUS!!!! There are sooo many blessings amongst so much difficulty and pain.

My heart goes out to all of you, traveling this path. In spite of it, it doesnt define me...but it has changed me. Hugs to everyone .

xoxoxo
    Melinda
  • prudencerose
    prudencerose Member Posts: 35
    Well said and I agree! X