Jigsaw puzzles

Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing
I don't know why my physio didn't suggest it to me earlier but I have stumbled upon jigsaw puzzles for therapy. The repetitive movements of sorting pieces has done my lymphedema arm the world of good. Sitting around with not a lot of energy is boring and I put on movies to watch but I still like to be doing something to keep my mind and body active. Some knit or crochet, I do puzzles. :) 

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    @Brenda5 this is wonderful.
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Good idea Brenda!  When I was having radiation last year they had a big puzzle in the waiting rooms for people who had to sit around for a while.
  • Melhay
    Melhay Member Posts: 157
    That's a great idea Brenda! What's the biggest one (no of pieces) you've tackled so far?
  • Brenda5
    I do like the 500 piece ones as they are of a size that can fit on the table and I can still reach my laptop to have a break. I did a 1000 piece one which wasn't too bad but took longer to do and I did a 1500 piece which was rather a nightmare of sorting pieces over and over to find the right ones for the right spot. I have just started a 500 piece round one which is rather interesting but a beggar to fit the pieces as its not a standard cut.
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Hi Mel and Brenda,

My biggest was a Ravensberger 5000 and a Clementoni 6000, both old master paintings.  My kids challenged me with the sizes!  Did them both but never again!  Did you know that Microsoft Games has great puzzles free - only 200 pieces but enough to take your mind off things.

I have 1/2 dozen 500-1000 happy to give away if anyone is near the Gold Coast - too bulky to mail.
  • Melhay
    Melhay Member Posts: 157
    My husband & daughter have done those round puzzles Brenda & found exactly the same thing. In fact come to think of it I vividly remember the little tantrums they both had trying to add pieces without sections of the puzzle collapsing!

Those 5000 & 6000 piece old master painting puzzles are just beautiful Michelle. I had a friend who framed theirs after finishing it. I'm just imagining the fun my indoor cat would have pushing all those pieces off the table!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi Brenda, my older sister gave me a jigsaw puzzle that's classed as the hardest in the world. It has 500pieces and is printed on both sides with the seconds side printed at a 90°angle to the top side!!! OMG!!! I have never even fi ished the border! I think my sister must secretly hate me  ;) (not really). They're great to do though. All the best xx Cath
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Oh goodness that brings back happy childhood memories.  Mum always had a jigsaw on the go and welcomed us all to participate.  It is quite soothing.  Mum is no longer with us and there is a cupboard full of jigsaws that Dad wanted to put into the Op Shop but we've all said No, it is the sentimental attachment, haven't been near them for a lot of years but knowing they are there is still part of Mum

Enjoy
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited September 2016
    I have a jigsaw program for my laptop and do jigsaws every day of my life. The best  thing about this program is that there are some jigsaws that are free, you don't need space on a table to complete them and t it also allows you to make jigsaws out of any photos you have in your computer.  If anyone is interested it's available at http://www.jigsawsgalore.com
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Hi I also discovered they are good therapy and distraction and usually have one on the go.  I like 500 piece ones.
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    edited September 2016

socoda said:

Hi Brenda, my older sister gave me a jigsaw puzzle that's classed as the hardest in the world. It has 500pieces and is printed on both sides with the seconds side printed at a 90°angle to the top side!!! OMG!!! I have never even fi ished the border! I think my sister must secretly hate me  ;) (not really). They're great to do though. All the best xx Cath

Cath, a hint ... if you look closely at the pieces you should be able to see which side they were cut from.  It makes it easier. :)
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Thanks Mira, I'll have to dig it out and gave another go!!!  :) Excellent!!
  • Brenda5
    Oh I love those sherbet cones bottom right. Drooly puzzle.