Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Newbie to this site

Marci
Marci Member Posts: 46
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi everyone my name is Marcela I am 44 years old and was diagnosed last year October the 1st with Her2 positive metastatic BC. The cancer has spread to my liver and bones (spine, pelvis and some on my ribs). This was my initial diagnosis. So as you all know just getting a diagnosis of BC is traumatising enough but to be told it has spread and that there is no cure was devastating for me and my family. I felt like I was dreaming when the doctor was talking to my husband and I in her surgery that day, because there is no-one in my family with BC. My words to the doctor were- just cut them off! as I didn't know a single thing about BC let alone Her2+ or that it was too late because of the spread. I have always been healthy and into exercise and since receiving my diagnosis I have devoted myself to an anti cancer diet and way of life. I try hard to stay as healthy as possible to live as long as I can with this, to hopefully miraculously go into remission.... or stay around long enough for new treatments or hopefully a cure for us all! 

When I was waiting to start treatment within that week in October last year the cancer fractured my spine. All I was doing was getting up from being seated on the lounge! The pain was excruciating and I have had children naturally so thats saying something! They had to give me so much pain medicine just to have me put my legs down to have me go through the CT machine. Every time they moved me the pain was through the roof, even with all the meds. They warned my husband that I may not walk again.....they eventually got me through the CT machine and they recommended to my husband that I have radiation on my spine. I was in no condition to make decisions because of the amount of meds to control the pain. I had the radiation and recovered in hospital for 3 weeks. In those 3 weeks I walked! And since then I have come a long way. They give me a bone strengthening injection with my treatment to prevent further fractures. I had chemo for 5 months along with Herceptin and Perjeta. I am currently having a break from chemo but I am on Herceptin and Perjeta as long as they continue to work.

I would have to stay one of the hardest things through this is the mental turmoil. As you all know we have our good days and bad days. I guess being faced with your mortality is something that people who have cancer or have had cancer know all about to well. I previously had my own business and worked very hard. Since being diagnosed I gave that all away and focus solely on living! I focus on my family and my health. I guess my cancer diagnosis really gave me a wake up call and made me realise what is important for me. Take you for reading my story ladies, I wish you all the best of health. See you all here soon! :) 

Tagged:

Comments

• Debza
    Debza Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2016

It was uplifting to hear your story and terribly sad too.You are an amazing woman and I wish you happiness health and continued support from you family.You have a great attitude,I write this waiting for my first appt with oncology radiation,to discuss my treatment.I have early breast cancer and have had x2 ops partial mastectomy and now waiting to find out the plan.Stay positive.debza

• Leila34
    Leila34 Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcela,

I'm so sorry to read your sad news. I honestly don't even know what to say :( It is truly heartbreaking to face the prospect of your mortality, wishing you all the best in your battle, I hope you can make the most of everyday and hope to hear of your remission  in the future xx

• Dany1
    Dany1 Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcela,

Thanks for sharing your story.  What a journey you have been on. Its amazing how a cancer diagnosis does give you that wake up call so you can focus on whats really important.   I hope that you continue to thrive and stay healthy and happy.  

I too have changed diet and try and exercise every day.   I also gave up alcohol which was challenging at first.

Hugs Dany

• Marci
    edited July 2016

Thank you Dany, I know what you mean about the alcohol....I love champagne! Lol! I only drink one or two glasses occasionally now. To be honest you enjoy it more when it occasional because you missed it. ?? Xo 

• Marci
    edited July 2016

Thank you very much Leila. Xo

• Marci
    edited July 2016

Thank you Debza. I hope your appointment with your oncologist comes with the best of news, and plans for your treatment. Xo 

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcela,

What a shocker of a diagnosis. It sounds as though you have been through so very very much in such a very short space of time. I just posted the other day about a lady I met approximately 5 weeks ago who had her cancer go to her bones as well and whose prognosis was not favorable - she is still working full time 7 years later and living strong with her main side effect being tiredness. I'm so glad that you've decided to come onto the site and join us and I know I personally have gained a lot by joining and interacting with the wonderful ladies on here.I think one of the best things about this site is just knowing that if you are having a hard day you can always jump on here and de-stress.  It sounds as though you have already conquered many obstacles throughout your treatment  and here's to conquering many more!!!! (OOh sorry hope that doesn't sounds like I'm wishing any obstacles on you cause I'm definitely not). Wishing you all the best and looking forward to seeing more posts from you. Take care. Xx Cath

• Marci
    edited July 2016

Thank you very much Cath! I really need to hear stories like the one you just mentioned. There are days where it all just becomes to much for me. I have also had other obstacles come my way of recent that I didn't mention in my blog.... Not long after I finished chemo (for now) I lost my mum. It was sudden and unexpected. She also passed away on my birthday.....My luck of late has been terrible. Thank you for the positive story you posted for me, it means a lot. Xo 

• Dany1
    Dany1 Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2016

Totally... I love champagne too.... and french rose.  !@! xx

• Andij
    Andij Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2016

Hi Marcela,

Yes it is a shock when we find out we have breast cancer. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether it is caught really early or stage lV. But the shock being told you have stage lV must be just horrendous. You are certainly on a pretty tough journey. A healthy diet is such a good decision to make. Have you heard of Michael Gregor - Just fantastic information on diet and all proven information no rubbish. Also a book/ website called Radical Remission Kelly Turner) is wonderful as well - Heaps of hopeful stories of people that have had Stage lV cancers. A huge thing that we all need is hope and hearing stories of people in the same situation as you give you that:) 

I am reaching out into cyber space to give you a huge hug. xo

• Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    edited July 2016

Wha a brave strong person you are.  You are coping wonderfully well with a very sad diagnosis and huge amounts of pain.  And the sudden loss of your mother.    I hope things go better soon.  I hope your family and friends give you lots of love and support.  Best wishes Karen 

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited July 2016

That's great news to hear how far you have come Marci. Gee that is amazing you can walk now. Keep us posted on your further treatment as my dad has bone cancer too but he gets muddled with what injections and pills are for what in his treatment. I am sure one of them must be that bone strengthening one you get.

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    edited July 2016

Oh Marcela, I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your mum and that she passed away on your birthday, that must have added yet another layer of heartache to both you and your family. I hope that on your future birthdays you are able to celebrate both your birthday and your mums life with wonderful festive activities. I met the lady I mentioned previously on the day I was being discharged from hospital from having my mastectomy. She was truly inspirational, caring, sharing and wonderfully happy and she was a total bonus to my day :-).   I'm sure she would be very pleased to know her continued success has helped. Xx Cath

• Marci
    edited July 2016

Thank you Andij. I will have a look at the book and websites you mentioned. Anything to help will be great! xo 

• Marci
    edited July 2016

Thank you very much Cath.xo