Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Options
Marci
Marci Member Posts: 46
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi everyone my name is Marcela I am 44 years old and was diagnosed last year October the 1st with Her2 positive metastatic BC. The cancer has spread to my liver and bones (spine, pelvis and some on my ribs). This was my initial diagnosis. So as you all know just getting a diagnosis of BC is traumatising enough but to be told it has spread and that there is no cure was devastating for me and my family. I felt like I was dreaming when the doctor was talking to my husband and I in her surgery that day, because there is no-one in my family with BC. My words to the doctor were- just cut them off! as I didn't know a single thing about BC let alone Her2+ or that it was too late because of the spread. I have always been healthy and into exercise and since receiving my diagnosis I have devoted myself to an anti cancer diet and way of life. I try hard to stay as healthy as possible to live as long as I can with this, to hopefully miraculously go into remission.... or stay around long enough for new treatments or hopefully a cure for us all!

When I was waiting to start treatment within that week in October last year the cancer fractured my spine. All I was doing was getting up from being seated on the lounge! The pain was excruciating and I have had children naturally so thats saying something! They had to give me so much pain medicine just to have me put my legs down to have me go through the CT machine. Every time they moved me the pain was through the roof, even with all the meds. They warned my husband that I may not walk again.....they eventually got me through the CT machine and they recommended to my husband that I have radiation on my spine. I was in no condition to make decisions because of the amount of meds to control the pain. I had the radiation and recovered in hospital for 3 weeks. In those 3 weeks I walked! And since then I have come a long way. They give me a bone strengthening injection with my treatment to prevent further fractures. I had chemo for 5 months along with Herceptin and Perjeta. I am currently having a break from chemo but I am on Herceptin and Perjeta as long as they continue to work.

I would have to stay one of the hardest things through this is the mental turmoil. As you all know we have our good days and bad days. I guess being faced with your mortality is something that people who have cancer or have had cancer know all about to well. I previously had my own business and worked very hard. Since being diagnosed I gave that all away and focus solely on living! I focus on my family and my health. I guess my cancer diagnosis really gave me a wake up call and made me realise what is important for me. Take you for reading my story ladies, I wish you all the best of health. See you all here soon! :)

I posted his on the main page. But I thought I would post this here to see if I could find ladies here in a similar situation. 

Comments

• Autore
    Autore Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hello Marcela! And welcome to the group. There's lots of support here. Just read your story... Oh sweetheart, so sorry to hear about your epic year. Am sending GIANT virtual hugs . Feel free to message if you need to vent or just chat about whatever. xox

• Marci
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you.This past year since I found out my diagnosis has really been hard.....My mum also passed away on my birthday. It's been difficult. I feel like I have been hit for six really. Thank you for your kind words they mean so much. Xox 

• mmcc3
    mmcc3 Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi Marcia,

You are dealing with so much and from my perspective you do appear to be handling it as well as can be expected.  I have thought about you a lot since I read your post and hesitated in replying because I wanted to try and find the right words to help to ease the burden you have with you at the moment. I just hope you know there are so many of us out there that understand and are doing it with you, maybe not the same journey but we are all sharing the experience.  Its really hard, and it seems to me like you are doing a great job and should be proud of yourself.  I am about to finish 6 months of chemo and then onto radiation and have been suffering from terrible anxiety throughout.  I am have been trying to do some mindfulness and work on recognising what my anxieties are but trying not to let them consume me.  Easier said than done but it has helped me.

Feel free to keep chatting, we are here to support you.

Big Hugs xox

• Sophollie
    Sophollie Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi Marcela

I'm so sorry about the mets.  I am stage 3 and I cant even begin to imagine the feeling of being told the cancer has spread though obviously it is one of our worst fears. 

I have to say though, your post really shows a strength of will and character that is so admirable. And to be walking again so quickly after they were telling your husband it might not happen?  That's really amazing. 

I hope things start to look up for you and you keep responding to the treatment.  Big big hugs xx

• Marci
    edited August 2016
    Options

I also had anxiety during chemo, and had to take meds to help. (although i don't think they helped much, so I stopped taking them). Its so hard, I totally understand. Mindfulness and meditation does help a little I think. Actually I think it helps more than the meds! It sure is easier said then done. Thank you for your reply. I wish you all the best. xox 

• Marci
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you so much. I pray all goes well with you also, and that you respond well to your treatment also. xox