ABC Catalyst: Exercise and Cancer

Fiona_BCNA
Fiona_BCNA Member Posts: 75
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Last Night ABC Catalyst aired a story on exercise and cancer. The program explored the research and benefits of exercise during active cancer treatment. One Australian trial being undertaken by Professor Rob Newton at Edith Cowan University in Perth is looking at the benefits of exercise during chemotherapy treatment, including for breast cancer patients. While the trial is still ongoing, early results have been very positive.

We highly recommend watching this Catalyst episode, which can been found on ABC iView - http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst/SC1502H014S00.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited May 2016

My oncologist highly recommended it and said fatigue and heart damage were lessened if you could do it.

• annebirdy
    annebirdy Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2016

That's really interesting. Any tips on how to find a good exercise physiologist who has experience with those who are treating cancer? I'm in inner west Sydney

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited May 2016

Yes i was wondering the same thing..i am in the eastern suburbs of melbourne.

Maryrose 

• Natty
    Natty Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2016

Hi ladies,

I am Nat one of the participants from the trial that was aired on Catalyst last night.  I am online and happy to answer any questions anyone may have about being part of this program.  The most important thing I have learned from being part of this Exercise and Cancer trial is that having a go can give you pleasing and unexpected results.  So if you can please try and add some exercise to your daily routine (of course check with your doctors/oncologists first).

Take care,

Nat xx

• primek
    edited May 2016

Most GPs can do a health care plan and refer you to an exercise physiologist who could set you up with a program dependent on your limitations and areas requiring strength improvement. You can then have 4 sessions under medicare. They wouldn't  need to be cancer doecific ones. ..they understand the needs of most diseases and could research if they needed also. My oncologist just recommended 30 mins aerobic a day, such as walking and weight / strength trsining  x 3 times a week.

• primek
    edited May 2016

I can't  imagine doing a program following my AC chemo on the day...but thought it could be doable beforehand. Did you find the drugs made you sleepy or dizzy?

• Fiona_BCNA
    Fiona_BCNA Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2016

Hi AnneBirdy and Maryrose,

You GP or oncologist can refer you to an accredited exercise physiologist they think would be suitable under a GP Management Plan and a Team Care Arrangement (MBS Item 721). Alternatively you can do a specific search here - https://www.essa.org.au/find-aep/.

I would suggest discussing a referral plan and your eligibility for Medicare, Work Cover, Veterans Affairs, TAC and Health Insurance rebates with your medical practitioner. 

Warmest Regards,

Fiona

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2016

Hi Nat,

Thank you for offering your support to the members here.

Ann-Marie x

• Scared Mum
    Scared Mum Member Posts: 169
    edited May 2016

Well done Nat you did a great job :) my brother called me to say I needed to watch ABC now!!  to find it was you on the show your a star!!!!  

My Nat has been going to an exercise physiologist here in Adelaide for a few weeks now ( not on her chemo day but 2 days after ) she has lost a lot of weight and muscle mass on chemo,  she feels a great improvement in her muscle strength. I would definitely recommend it  wish we new about it earlier in her treatment. 

Congrats 

Cheers Sue

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,532
    edited May 2016

Hi!  Jane has commented previously about exercise through the Encore program - here's the link for anyone that maybe interested and if it is available in your area

http://www.ywcaencore.org.au/

ywca encore is a free 8-week program for women who have experienced breast cancer.

Cheers

• Natty
    edited May 2016

Hi Primek,

I found that I felt better after the exercise sessions I did during my Chemotherapy Treatment. However, I did find getting the motivation to start the exercise sessions difficult, but once I started to see the benefits of each exercise session, the positives soon outweighed the negatives.  I did feel sleepy/fatigued at times but that usually came in the afternoons after I had my Chemo and Exercise sessions.  I was fortunate not to feel any dizziness during my Chemo or throughout any of my exercise sessions.

Much love,

Nat :)

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited May 2016

Hey nat

I caught the tail end of the program. Its been two years since my diagnosis and was wondering whether tailored exercise was found to be beneficial after treatment as well.

Maryrose 

• Natty
    edited May 2016

My pleasure Ann-Marie, if I can pass on anything from my BC journey so far I am more than happy to pay it forward!

• Natty
    edited May 2016

Thank you Sue!

Yay for your Nat, I am sure going to the exercise sessions whenever they maybe are only doing positive things for her body!  To feel strong during the treatment, which is so taxing on our bodies, is one of the positive outcomes to exercise during treatment! 

I am now 5 months post BC treatment and have commenced delayed breast reconstruction and still feel stronger than I ever have before, and am also getting through some tough surgeries better than expected.  I feel that resistant training has helped me on so many levels!

Much love,

• Natty
    edited May 2016

Hi Maryrose,

I am not sure if I can clinically answer that one Maryrose, as we all started the exercise program from the time we started our Chemo.

I am still continuing on the tailored exercise program post BC treatment and feel that it helps me on so many levels not only physically but also mentally and socially :)

Take care,

Nat xx