I guess I'm lucky...

Options
brissie lyn
brissie lyn Member Posts: 87
edited February 2015 in General discussion

I was diagnosed with early breast cancer on 2 Aug 2010. I had a lumpectomy and now I face radiation therapy at Royal Brisbane Hospital commencing 6 Oct.

I

Comments

• Michelle Blanch
    Michelle Blanch Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi - I also had an early diagnosis quite surprised as I didn't feel any lumps and no history of breast cancer in the family -and the same as you being 47 fit and healthy - but it has  been a world wind ride since the diagnosis - of two operations and just finished 6 weeks of radiation - so it is now just a matter of check ups every 3 months - after each treatment of radiation make sure you put cream on your breast to held reduce the redness and dryness - all the best

• brissie lyn
    brissie lyn Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Michelle

thanks so much for your comment.  Was redness on your skin the only issue for you? Are you in Brisbane?

i am very nervous about the effects of radiation. Lyn

• Michelle Blanch
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn

The area got red and a litte bit of sun caused a bit of irriation so I had to use some dermaid on the bit exposed to the sun as it went really dry and itchy.  There is a bit of discomfort when the area is red - just like a sunburn.  The skin is now peeling.  I had to drive to Nambour each day so the driving was a bit tiresome as I live near Bribie Island, so I am still a little bit tired from all of that.  Not wearing a proper bra yet either.  How are you going to get to Brisbane each day?  Also have you seen the machine that will be working on you? We had a DVD about it but I didn't watch it till after the first treatment - should have watched it first then you have a heads up about what it is like.  Contact me whenever you feel like it.  Take care Michelle

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn

I was fit and healthy too....both times!  I was first diagnosed with DCIS in 2003 at the age of 35 and then again just recently in August 2010 with invasive ductal cancer and DCIS in the other breast (I had a mastectomy both times) at the age of 42 - so yes, you can get it young and it doesn't seem to care whether you are otherwise healthy!

Luckily because I had a mastectomy I didn't have to have radiation therapy but this time I have to start chemo (on 27th October) just to be sure.  Now I have to face losing my hair which my two boys (13 & 15) are not happy about at all LOL.  I guess it is a small price to pay for peace of mind though and other than drugs I will have finished the majority of my treatment by the end of the year (I will have one more operation to replace a tissue expander with a permanent prosthesis and then another to make a new nipple but they will both be done early next year).

Good luck with your treatment and i hope the radiation isn't too bad.

Take care, Louise

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn

I was fit and healthy too....both times!  I was first diagnosed with DCIS in 2003 at the age of 35 and then again just recently in August 2010 with invasive ductal cancer and DCIS in the other breast (I had a mastectomy both times) at the age of 42 - so yes, you can get it young and it doesn't seem to care whether you are otherwise healthy!

Luckily because I had a mastectomy I didn't have to have radiation therapy but this time I have to start chemo (on 27th October) just to be sure.  Now I have to face losing my hair which my two boys (13 & 15) are not happy about at all LOL.  I guess it is a small price to pay for peace of mind though and other than drugs I will have finished the majority of my treatment by the end of the year (I will have one more operation to replace a tissue expander with a permanent prosthesis and then another to make a new nipple but they will both be done early next year).

Good luck with your treatment and i hope the radiation isn't too bad.

Take care, Louise

• KayP
    KayP Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn

I was 51 when diagnosed and really didn't have much choice about which operation to have, the words large and aggressive stood out in my mind. Mastectomy was recommended right from the start, Followed by Chemo and question mark on Radiotherapy.

In the end it was recommended and I am of the view I will participate in maximum treatment to try and keep this thing from coming back. 32 treatments on the chest wall where my breast used to be. The first 3 weeks were fine. Slight skin tanning effect and a bit itchy at times. Tiring, but not too bad, loss of appetite. Make sure you use the creams the nurses recommend. The second 3 weeks were worse when the burns got quite severe but bearable, again using the right cream regularly is important.

The most uncomfortable bit was the Solugel covered by glad wrap and having to redress the wound a couple of times a day. Looks a bit scary but isn't all that painful. The skin heals pretty quickly after the treatment is finished.

After the initial relief that treatment is over,it does take some adjustment to all of a sudden get out of routine and figure out what comes next. Treatment is no fun but there is a level of comfort seeing the same people and connecting with them each day and while you never look forward to it you do actually feel like somethig positive is happening no matter how tired and sore you feel. People who work in this kind of healthcare tend to be very caring and professional and do make you feel good about it especially when counting down to the end.

I also found that there were invariably people who where clearly in a far worse position than me as I could at least drive myself and hobble in and out each day. I saw many who had to come via ambulance transport who were still able to offer me an encouraging smile each day. It is kind of a unspoken pact that everyone is watching out for each other and wishes everyone a positive outcome.

I wish you all the best for your treatment, I used to cross them of each day and you will be amazed how quickly the time goes.

Good luck! Please let ms know how you go

Kind regards

Kay

• BelindaM
    BelindaM Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kay

I can really relate to your comment about post treatment and not knowing what to do next and just working out how to pick up the pieces of your life and work out how everything fits back together! I think this is a big issue that needs to be addressed. I think there need to be some kind of de briefing and also the hospital giving you contacts for support groups etc. What do you think?

• Michelle Blanch
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

Where do you get the Moo Goo from?  I was told to use aloea vera and then QV cream - put your creams sounds better than what i am using

• BelindaM
    BelindaM Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

The Royal Brisabne Hospital pharmacy has the full range but I also saw it at a Terry White at Northlakes recently too. I can only speak of my experiences witht he Moo Goo and what I saw comparing it with other ladies. It worked really well for me (and my fair skin) and I was really happy that I used it but the best idea is to discuss it with your Radiation Oncologist. :O)

• Michelle Blanch
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks