Champion

Tracey62
Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
edited September 2016 in Day to day

ok... So today....just for today.... I'm gonna allow myself to be a sook

no , there's no new treatment to face, no harrowing news to face off against, no horrible side effects to frighten me. But today my son moved out of home, out of town, 1500km away, to start a new job.....

- He's the son who turned down the last job when I was diagnosed, told the boss he just had to be there for his mum

- He's the son who sat by my side while we waited for that really painful radioactive injection to identify which lymph node to take. Whenever I started to lose it, he'd gently put his hand on my shoulder & say "it's ok Mum, we're gonna get through this..."

- He's the son who laughed at my drug addled ramblings after surgery & too many pain killers

- He's the son who came in to chemo with me... the nurse took one look at this tall strong man and said "you don't need a body guard" and my son quite seriously told her "don't you hurt my Mum"

- He's the son who would quietly open the bedroom door on those days after chemo when I couldn't face the world, just to check that I was ok

and I am ok, more than ok, I'm so so SO grateful that he was here as my protector, my champion when I really needed him. My wish for each of you lovely ladies is that you too have a champion, that dear person who has your back no matter what.

I'm grateful that my son taking a new job is the start of good things to come in our lives....so I'm just gonna feel the loss of him for this day... or maybe for this week....but still, always grateful ??

Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    edited January 2016

Hi Tracey. I think that you have every reason to be a sook today, and for a little while to come. 

Take care, Lyn

• Karel01
    Karel01 Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2016

Hi Tracey,

How proud you must be to have parented a wonderful,caring young man. He must have been scared and so worried but stood up to be your champion.

I wish him well in his new venture and send you good thoughts for the future.

Cheers

Karel xx

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited January 2016

Oh Tracey, being the mother of 3 wonderful sons I really feel for you. What a wonderful young man you have raised. He sounds like he has a beautiful caring soul and this is something you will carry with you forever whether he is near or far. And although he has physically moved away he will always be with you at the very least in spirit and in your heart, but he'll still be in contact via technology no doubt. Can you Skype? If not set that up as soon as you can - it can be such a comfort to see them as well as hear them. 

Thinking of you, Nadine

• Sue Jones
    Sue Jones Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2016

Hi Tracey!

you are so lucky to have such a wonderful son who was there for you every step of the way.  He will always be there for you even if it is not physically. Wishing your son the very best of luck with his new job.  Now sit back and relax.

Regards

Sue

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited January 2016

Tracey,

You made me cry! But that is a good thing, I haven't cried since my diagnosis!

What a beautiful soul you have raised. You go ahead and feel sad, but also be happy he has ditched his fledgling wings and is strong enough to soar! He is your Champion, but I'm sure YOU are his hero.

Sending you love an light for recovery and beautiful days <3

_ Tracy

• emmyp
    emmyp Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2016

Hi Tracey,

I hope my little boy grows into that kind of man.  You should be proud and definitely allowed a bit of a sook!

Big Hugs Emma 

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Hi Lyn, gotta keep my sook time to home, was really embarrassing sobbing on radiation table, wish you could turn the strong on with a switch, thanks for your thoughts, Tracey xx

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Thanks Karel, I guess you don't know a persons strength till they are tested. Wish I coulda spared my family this test, but yes, he stood up & did mum proud. Thanks for your good wishes, Tracey xx

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Hi Nadine, love the new hair do, you look strong & proud. I too have 3 sons - 1 that ran away 20yrs ago, 1 that copes with bc by spending every waking moment with his mates, and then my champ. Funny how each child is so different when we love each of them. Skype sounds like a good idea, maybe he can teach me how to do that. Hope your sons surround you with love, Tracey xx

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Thanks Sue, just think, less shopping, less cooking, less clothes on the floor. No one using the fridge as an aircon lol.  Very lucky to have had his support, hope you have someone too, Tracey xx

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Well Trace, I'm glad I'm not crying alone! Funny how I can cry over my son, but absolutely no way was I gonna let bc make me cry, it gets my tough face ?? Sending you super-hero powers as you go in for surgery tomorrow. Time for ScorpionQueen to win the battle, so I'm wishing you courage and strength, Trace xX

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Hi Christine, thank you for your beautiful words. I raised sons as a single mum & never expected to be on the receiving end of their care. That strong support can come from unexpected places. Maybe for you it's not your son in law, maybe it's your daughter, a special friend, a sister, your bc nurse or maybe even the ladies on this site. Who else but us knows what you are going through? Hope you too can find that special person to be there for you, Tracey xXx

• Tracey62
    edited January 2016

Oh Emma, hold him close, they grow up too soon. One minute little boys are scraping their knees and holding your hand, the next they're too cool for you. So glad that all the love we pour into them rebounds right back at you. Wishing you well, Trace xX

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited January 2016

Thank you Tracey 

A bitch called cancer slapped me in the face, I'm gonna slap her back! 

??????? Tracy