New Journey

truband
truband Member Posts: 8
edited November 2016 in Newly diagnosed

I have just returned from 5 weeks of radiation for cancer cells in the lymph nodes from my armpit to base of collarbone. Would like to find others with similar condition.

Susan

Tagged:

Comments

• Janelle_BCNA
    Janelle_BCNA Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2015
    Hi turband,

I just wanted to let you know of another online group that has been created by Linda for women living with secondary breast cancer.

Her group is called: Women living with advanced breast cancer

If you search for a contact called Linda Nadort and go to her page you will see the group that she has created.

All the best for connecting with other women who are living with secondary breast cancer.
    Janelle
  • Janelle_BCNA
    Janelle_BCNA Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2015
    Hi turband,

I just wanted to let you know of another online group that has been created by Linda for women living with secondary breast cancer.

Her group is called: Women living with advanced breast cancer

If you search for a contact called Linda Nadort and go to her page you will see the group that she has created.

All the best for connecting with other women who are living with secondary breast cancer.
    Janelle
  • Linda Nadort
    Linda Nadort Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Hi Truband

I have a group as outlined by Janelle above. There are now 6 members.

This group is designed for women living with secondaries or advanced breast cancer to blog.

You are most welcome to join.

Cheers
    Linda
  • truband
    truband Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

Hi Linda,

I would love to join your group - how do I do that?

Susan

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi truband -- I can help with that.  Here's the link to the group Janelle and Linda mentioned: http://www.bcna.org.au/group/4218.

Just click that link and on the left side of the group page (under the picture), you'll see a 'request membership' link.

Just shout if you get stuck. :)

• Julie Bache
    Julie Bache Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001, aged 47, and had lumpectomy followed by 7 weeks of radiotherapy and then prescribed tamoxifen for 5 years. No big deal, 6 months off work and then back to normal life. That was the end of that, so I thought! Then in 2007, after nearly 12 months of pain in my left leg in particular, and a little in my hips, I was diagnosed with secondaries in the bones. Shock horror! I thought my life was almost over! But thanks to some wonderful, ongoing treatments, none of which have been too unpleasant, I am still plodding along. Due to having a titanium rod inserted in my femur to hold the bone together, I have slowed down somewhat but am embracing life to the fullest with wonderful family, friends and work colleagues. In the last couple of years I have climbed the Sydney Harbour bridge, explored the Blue Mountains, parasailed and been white water rafting in Bali, had two wonderful holidays in the USA, Alaska and Canada, among other things. I have continued to teach two days a week and love that I can! Out of all the cancers to get stricken with, I think I have the best as far as keeping it under control goes. I am forever grateful to the wonderful medical staff who continue to look after me.

• Julie Bache
    edited March 2015

I think I have posted 'my story' in wrong place and don't know how to delete. Sorry!

• Julie Bache
    edited March 2015

I think I have posted 'my story' in wrong place and don't know how to delete. Sorry!

• YvonneD
    YvonneD Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

I am still struggling with where to post/reply and especially how to know when someone else has posted on the site. I thought there had been no activity and have been totally dismayed to find that Linda has died and I didn't see the posts. I've really got to spend some more time working my way around this site!

• YvonneD
    YvonneD Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

Probably not the right place to post this, but I'm finding it very hard to know when any new messages have been posted.......and now I don't even seem to appear on the "members" list!

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi Julie and Yvonne,

I think by now you've both also found the other group for Women Living With Advanced Breast Cancer, which is here: http://www.bcna.org.au/group/4218.

If not, or if you need any further help just let me know.

Di
  • Anne Maree
    Anne Maree Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2015

Hi Julie,

I am new to this site and not sure if there is much activity. I was reading your comment about all the activities you have done. I have large bone met in my shoulder, and not sure how much risk to take with using my arm. I use it for all normal activities. How have you found things with your hip?

Is there much communication going on in this site?

• Julie Bache
    edited March 2015

Hi Ann Maree.

I have a monthly intravenous dose of zometa, a bone strengthener. Hence I guessed my bones were probably stronger than most without mets. Maybe I was wrong. Have just lived a nightmare couple of weeks! The femur rod I had inserted to hold bone together snapped suddenly and unexpectedly while I was standing at the kitchen bench. Leg just went from under me! Apparently was because bone had been broken at least since a scan showed in march but not in report. Still looking into how this was overlooked! For last 4 or 5 months I have been given numerous painkillers to try with none seeming to hit the pain. Now I know why!! Very hard to say what may have caused bone to break. Was it something I did? Who knows. Think you might as well do pretty much whatever you can cos don't know what's around corner. Cancer seems to be stable though. Biggest annoyance is all rehab over again to get this leg working again. Think I now have more metal than bone in left leg now!! Bionic woman!

I also post on a group called 'women living with adavanced breast cancer'. log in is here. Seems to be more activity in that group.

Would be interested to hear how you are going and what your treatment involves.

Take care, Julie.

• Anne Maree
    edited March 2015

Hi Julie

Thankyou for your reply, especially in your circumstances. I was shocked to hear what happened even though I dont know you. Do you need to be in hospital for rehab or do you do it at home.

It can be challenging when scans and Xrays are not properly interpreted. I have had this experience on multiple occasions but am thankful that I had responded to treatment despite delays.

I am assuming you have had further surgery. Good to hear things are stable.

I am on Zometa infusions and Zoladex.My cancer is stable at present as well. I was told my shoulder tumor was very porous and could not be fixed if broken, however when you dont have pain it can be very deceptive.

I am interested in lifestyle changes eg. food, exercise , low stress levels in the effect on advanced breast cancer.

I will send you a request to be a contact.

Regards

Anne Maree

• Anne Maree
    edited March 2015