Not Pinktober Again!

traveltext
traveltext Member Posts: 253
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Today I get an email from BCNA with this:

"October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a special time to acknowledge and support the many women and families across the country affected by breast cancer. The month is filled with pink reflections and celebrations."

I know we represent just 1% of the total cases of BC diagnosed each year, but why not include some mention of males going through the BC mill.

Women under 35 also represent just 1% of the annual cases. Come on BCNA, take more notice of the other minority!

This whole pink thing might raise heaps of revenue, but it just reinforces BC as a women only disease and stops men from even considering they might get it too.

Later diagnosis leads to lower survival rates. I say it's time for a big change to the BCNA message.

Tagged:

Comments

• Alsopt
    Alsopt Member Posts: 225
    edited September 2015

Agree

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    edited September 2015

Hi Traveltext, I can only imagine that pinktober must feel very isolating for you and the other men that have breast cancer, and also agree that somehow there should be some recognition that this disease can affect men too. Let's hope some creative minds can work out how best to include everyone :-) Best wishes, Jane xx 

• Claudia_BCNA
    Claudia_BCNA Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2015

Hi Traveltext, thank you for your feedback regarding our recent email. While we usually acknowledge the 145 men who are expected to be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, we recognise that the email we sent out yesterday did not acknowledge this. We have updated the reference on our website to include the acknowledgement of men as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and will keep this in mind for future communications. We sincerely apologise and appreciate you taking the time to get in touch. Claudia Innes - BCNA Media Officer

• Arleene
    Arleene Member Posts: 238
    edited September 2015

Hi Traveltext,

I am with you on this we need to bring more awareness that men get breast cancer too, a very close childhood friend of mine got bc a few years ago and when I found out I was shocked as it was about 3 and 1/2 years ago, we need to bring awareness to the fact men get breast cancer too, I tell people I meet and male friends we have to do checks as what happened to my friend I don't want this to happen to other men, it's hard enough for a woman I couldn't imagine how a man must feel, we need to do everything we can to bring awareness to men having Breast Cancer too.

Sending a Cyber Hug and heaps of support

Anita 

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    edited September 2015

Thanks Claudia, that's excellent.