Home Community news and events

needing to find rural help

EricaErica Member Posts: 21
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Well, it's been a long time since I have been active here. Almost coming up to my second post op mammogram in October. I'm feeling well and coping with the normal discomforts from surgery. However at present I'm down in NSW trying to help an elder sister who has just recently had a double mastectomy. She lives in country NSW at a place called Grenfell. While her treatment in hospital during surgery I believe was good, I'm disheartened to find the lack of help or support organised for her since returning home. Her husband was simply told to call homecare himself and when he did he felt more like an annoyance to the lady than anything else and the conversation ended with no outcome really. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced similar in rural areas, is it because I live in a city area that my post care was second to none? Is there something we as a family should be doing. somewhere where we should be calling to gain help for her?      



  • June1952June1952 Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 1,458
    edited August 2015

    Hello Erica

    At the hospital your sister should have seen the discharge planner who normally arranges these things - even in rural areas.  It would be a good idea to phone the social worker at the hospital and explain the situation so she can get the assistance you need.

    You can also SELF-REFER to the McGrath Breast Care Nurses so give them a call to see if one visits that area.

    If that fails, call her GP for referrals.

    Hope this is of some assistance.

    Good luck.  Summer  :-(

  • Tracey_BTracey_B Orbost, VictoriaMember, Dragonfly Posts: 1,284
    edited August 2015

    Hi Erica, I've been really fortunate in my area. I live in a small town of 2000 people, Orbost in Far East Gippsland. The closest breast care nurse is at Bairnsdale (1 hours drive away) however she has been in regular contact, particularly with exercises and lymph oedema care for my right arm. She has provided advice on funding for travel, and the local fundraising group have provided fuel cards, and coffee vouchers for when we travel to Melbourne (5 hours travel away) I feel for other ladies who are compromised by their remoteness, as it is hard enough to travel for access to care without support. All the best wishes for your friend. Trace ??????

  • EricaErica Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2015

    Hi Summer,

    Thanks, I think we will try the self refering on Monday and see how that goes. 

  • EricaErica Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2015

    Hi Tracey, that sounds promising and was the kind of thing I was hoping would be happening for my sister. But unfortunately atm its not. I'm glad my other sister and myself could take this emergency time and be down with her right now..hopefully we can find some things to put in place for her when we leave. Will be hard enough to leave her as it is let alone with little or no help coming in. Thanks again, thats encouraging..

  • Tracey_BTracey_B Orbost, VictoriaMember, Dragonfly Posts: 1,284
    edited August 2015

    Do a search for local breastcare muses. Maybe start with the local hospital, as they will know what works in the local area. Hope this helps, Trace ????

  • Lisa_BCNALisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    edited August 2015

    Hi Erica,

    It’s Lisa from the Policy Team. I am sorry to hear that you and your family haven’t felt very supported since your sister’s surgery.

    As Tracey B and Summerhill38 suggested, a local breast care nurse will likely be able to give you good information about the supports and services available in and around Grenfell. You can search for a breast care nurses in your local area by postcode using the McGrath Foundation’s National Breast Care Nurse Directory, which is available here.

    You may also wish to call the Cancer Council NSW Information and Support line on 13 11 20, as they are likely to have information about the practical supports available in your area.

    Another option is to get in touch with your local community health centre, as they may provide programs and services that could be helpful, or know of other local supports available.

    Best wishes,

Sign In or Register to comment.