Hair dye

maryroset1
maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
edited September 2016 in Day to day

Hi to all the inspirational ladies

I would love some advice about hair colour.

I had scalp cooling with my chemo last year. I lost hair on top of my head where the cap didnt fit snuggly. Unfortunately my hair has grown back quite grey.  Prior to bc i used to colour my hair every 5 weeks but am quite reluctant now.  I am thinking maybe organic hair colours but my hairdresser said they dont cover greys well.

Would love to hear about your experiences with colouring your hair post chemo and any brand of hair dye you may recommend.

Thanking you.

Maryrose 

Tagged:

Comments

• kazza4450
    kazza4450 Member Posts: 159
    edited July 2015

Hey Maryrose

Not sure about the question you asked.

Im curious though about what's the cooling cap and can that help stop hair loss. I have been told to expect full hair loss.

Maybe repost this again,  so someone can help you with the hairdye question, smiles to you ??????

• Heather72
    Heather72 Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2015

Hi Maryrose,

I am 42 and never used hair dye but still got breast cancer. My point is that there is no known studies that hair dye causes cancer. sure there will be toxins but there is so many toxins in our lives just look outside at our cars, that is why we have a liver we cannot get rid of all the toxins in our lives just reduce. eg use vinegar to clean. What must be remembered is that our head is dead so there is no absorption there it will only be our scalp. The absorption on the scalp must be very small or no pregnant women would dye her hair. Be careful with so called organic products if they do not have certified logo then they prob have a few organic products in them and the rest chemicals like the other hair dye products. I say if it makes you feel better about yourself keep using the hair dye cut down in other areas in toxins as much as you can and if still worried tell your hairdresser not to lather on the scalp or use more foils. Hope this helps.

• maryroset1
    edited July 2015

Hey kazza

Scalp cooling is relatively new in Australia but has been used in Europe for many years. I was one of the first to use it at epworth eastern. The cold cap effectively freezes the hair follicles so that they are not effected by the chemo. Speak to your oncologist and they should be able to tell you whether its offered in your area. Hope all goes well for you.

Maryrose 

• robbieb
    robbieb Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2015

Hi Maryrose,

I am the same, used to have my hair coloured to keep away the greys. After chemo lost all my hair, and it grew back silver grey. It is now about two years since chemo, my hair is still extremely fine and very sparse on top, so have not put any colour in it since. I have got used to being grey, at least I have hair again. Your hairdresser could advise you on your hair though.

• maryroset1
    edited July 2015

Thanks Robyn.

My hair has grown back quite thick my eyebrows though are quite patchy. I too am getting used to the greys but will do some homework to see what products are out there that might not contain all the nasties.