The beginning of my BC Journey

Comments

• Avni
    Avni Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

Well sometime in July I started getting pain in my back..ignored it for few days but by August I could not bear and went to various docs, they all said it would be a sprain etc and we did many physio etc. But by Oct 11 I was fed up and hence went in for a mri, there is said one disc D12 has been compressed due to cancer. I came to know that I have BC, a lump on my right breast which has metazised to my bones via lymph nodes. My treatment plan was 12 to 15 taxol along with Herceptin as my tumor was her 2 positive. Am done with 14 cycles to taxol + herceptin and now just 1 last taxol chemo is left. Back pain is now better then before as my lastest scan says am clear by 90% of my cancer. But that scan was after my 9th chemo cycle. And now my next scan will be after 3 months and am oping it to be more clear then ever.  Docs says back will never be 100% fine. I will always have to be careful and it will always be siff around lower back unless i plan some surgery etc. 

All my best wishes are with you and incase you have any more questions, then please feel free and ask. Eat well and healthy at the right time. Thats the 1st thing that will help you recover from chemos. also ofcourse being positive all the while <3

Lots of love

Avni

• Natasha
    Natasha Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2015

Hi Linda,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping your bone scan goes well.  In November I was where you are now.  One mastectomy and node clearance, plus a couple of rounds of chemo later and I still find it hard to believe I'm doing this. 

My tips for the early days is to plan treats for yourself so you have something to look forward to.  A nice day out can be snuck into the program in between appointments.  Before my surgery I wanted to swim in the ocean one day and also spend a day taking photographs at a location of my choice.  I think my husband enjoyed those days as well.  I felt sad but more normal and it got me away from hospitals and needles.  

Take care.

• Jecca
    Jecca Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Good luck today. I will be thinking of you .
  • Jecca
    edited March 2015
    Good luck today. I will be thinking of you .
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015

Hi Avni ~ my name is Jess from BCNA. I just wanted to get in touch to say hello/hi and i hope you are you are connecting with some of the wonderful women in the online network - if need any help at all -  just let me know :-)

I just wanted to also let you know that there is a group in the online network for women living with advanced/secondary breast cancer, if you wanted to have a look, you can find the group here: http://www.bcna.org.au/group/4218

~ jess x

• LindaN
    LindaN Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2015
    Attended my first appt yesterday with surgeon, 2 weeks after being diagnosed with. BC expecting results of type, grade and plan only to be frustrated that I have to wait a further 2 weeks to see surgeon in public system for full diagnosis and treatment options. That will be a month since I've been told I have BC. I understand the complications to get all the test/scans in but the waiting is the hardest part. I have been cleared of no secondary cancers so that is fantastic. It's so far only 2 masses and lymph node on one side. I'm still struggling to wait. Has anyone else felt like it's so hard to wait in the system or did you all go Private? Sorry for the vent! Xxx
  • Natasha
    Natasha Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2015

I had to wait six weeks between diagnosis and surgery.  It was a long wait.  Some of the most important results don't come until after the surgery when they have the tissue to analyse fully.

• LindaN
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Natasha. Good to know it can be normal to have a wait. X
  • LindaN
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Natasha. Good to know it can be normal to have a wait. X
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

I went through the public system in Brisbane, I was diagnosed mid September, waited 2 weeks to see surgeon, then another 2 weeks till surgery. Lumpectomy, mid Oct. The results from pathology after operation took a few weeks. The waiting seems endless. No secondaries is good news for you, all the best Linda,

Hazel xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

I went through the public system in Brisbane, I was diagnosed mid September, waited 2 weeks to see surgeon, then another 2 weeks till surgery. Lumpectomy, mid Oct. The results from pathology after operation took a few weeks. The waiting seems endless. No secondaries is good news for you, all the best Linda,

Hazel xx

• LindaN
    edited March 2015
    Hi Hazel
    Thanks for the moral support. That's not bad going to get to surgery in 4 weeks hey. Another 2 weeks and I'll have a plan. Sounds like there's lots of waiting so I may as well get used to being patient!
    Love and kind thoughts to you
    Linda x
  • Jecca
    edited March 2015
    I understand where you are coming from Linda. It's the fact that you have no control over such a major thing happening in your life. It had been driving me mad!
  • LindaN
    edited March 2015
    That's it Jecca. One minute you're in charge of things in your life and then boom... Others are taking charge ( to help save our lives, I know). It certainly takes some adjusting. Once I get an idea of plan ahead I think I'll
    be able to settle more. It's great to have this website to hear others stories, while everyone is different , there is encouragement I'm not alone in the fear, anxiety and emotional roller coaster. Also mentally bracing for the tough days ahead with treatment and post surgery. What a beautiful group of supportive women

Linda x
  • shaza2015
    shaza2015 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015

I feel for you Linda.  I pray that's what it is.  Mine was in the left breast,  3.8cm or 5cm depending on what result you see, and a lymph node size 1.7cm. Thankfully the scans were clear as I pray yours to be. I've just had the mastectomy and left axillary clearance on Friday and now have these uncomfortable drains.thank heavens for the bags and support from a variety of sources including family and friends.  Its best to accept while staying positive and strong is what I've been advised repeatedly.  

We're so lucky that we're so supported by such caring services and breast cancer is so treatable as Robyn also mentioned. Indeed take it a day at a time and listen to your body and what it needs. This is time you need for you and to be looked after. Will be rooting for you.  Regards, Shaza.