You girls inspired me today

Custard
Custard Member Posts: 417
edited September 2016 in Community news and events

Well, I did it! The group was over 70 in number, about 2/3rds females, and very receptive to all the BCNA efforst to support women.

I hope it reaches out and am happy to do more talks now. This first one was the toughest I reckon.

I had a long look at our group photo before I left home and received strength from each one of you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Go Mandy, I wondered what that feeling was today!!!!  Congratulations ...keep going.  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

Go Mandy, I wondered what that feeling was today!!!!  Congratulations ...keep going.  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015

Yes Leonie, I wondered what it was about too, but had a bit of an idea.  For anyone who doesn't know we are all f/b buddies so we can keep tabs on each other all th time instead of some of the time.

That first one is a bit of a hurdle but once you jump it then things get easier.  I had my first session on Wednesday with the 2010 NSW Rural women's Gathering, Monday will be with the Mayor, then the CWA.  Wednesday will be with the board of Riverboat Ruby committee - this is just week one in my "master plan" to turn Wentworth pink for the final two weeks in October and have a Mini-Field of Women at the wharf precinct on 31st October.

The Ruby is a 100 year old riverboat which will be active on the Darling and Murray  rivers for the final weekend in October, so my brain can see her swathed in pink ladies and ribbons as she goes.

So far local community groups are very supportive and I am recruiting my "army" as I go.

Cheers .... Shirl

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015

Yes Leonie, I wondered what it was about too, but had a bit of an idea.  For anyone who doesn't know we are all f/b buddies so we can keep tabs on each other all th time instead of some of the time.

That first one is a bit of a hurdle but once you jump it then things get easier.  I had my first session on Wednesday with the 2010 NSW Rural women's Gathering, Monday will be with the Mayor, then the CWA.  Wednesday will be with the board of Riverboat Ruby committee - this is just week one in my "master plan" to turn Wentworth pink for the final two weeks in October and have a Mini-Field of Women at the wharf precinct on 31st October.

The Ruby is a 100 year old riverboat which will be active on the Darling and Murray  rivers for the final weekend in October, so my brain can see her swathed in pink ladies and ribbons as she goes.

So far local community groups are very supportive and I am recruiting my "army" as I go.

Cheers .... Shirl

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

All I can say to you Shirl is - MARVELLOUS. You really are sensational.  I have started - 23rd of October I have organised a Mini Field of Women at the Fountain area at Kershaw Gardens - all the traffic to the major shopping centres have to pass this way.  I still don't have my article in the paper about CL training but I ring the fella every day and now he says that someone will contact me next week.  I will keep my hotline running until it goes into the paper.  I'm back at work on Monday so that will ease me off a bit.XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

Hi all

I put out an SOS yesterday to find out if there are any support groups at Bellarine - not sure where they ended up but now I'm here!!!  I made contact with a lady, Melanie, who asked the question.  I don't know if Melanie is newly diagnosed or new to that area.  Does anyone have any contacts in that area and if so could you please post them to me and I will find Melanie again - seems very quiet - and give her the details.  Bellarine is a most beautiful area on the Great Ocean Road.  Thanks if you can help XLeonie

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015

Hi there Leonie, thanks for those kind words, nothing special there.  I'm just doing the same as what we all are.  I think my advantage is that coming from a small town you don't have to look far for community support.

Now about something for Melanie.

If you goto the top of this page and click on "Groups" it should bring up a "search for" page.  If you type in Bellarine then put in the post code.  It also has a distance factor "within X km".  Put in 50 and see what comes up.

If that fails, msg Janelle (she's the facilitator of that group) and she'll find something for you.

I "met" a lady from Brisbane who seemed a bit lost, and I did this and found three for her.

Let me know if you need a hand with this.

Your Field will look great around a fountain and will catch the eye of everyone going past.  Our wharf is just to the left of the bridge which crosses the Darling and is the entrance into Wentworth from the east, south and west.

Take care and talk later

Shirl xx

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

Thanks Shirl,

I did that and came up with nothing.  I have sent an email to Daina but will send it to Janelle.  I just picked this lady "out of the crowd" and she seems very "quiet" online.  I will keep trying.XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

Thanks Shirl,

I did that and came up with nothing.  I have sent an email to Daina but will send it to Janelle.  I just picked this lady "out of the crowd" and she seems very "quiet" online.  I will keep trying.XLeonie

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015

Hi Leonie ... just gogled Bellarine 3221 for a locality map .... it's not too far from Geelong (p/code there 3220).  That might be worth a try!  It's one of the largest cities outside Melb so they should have something there.

Good luck .... Shirl xx

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015

WELL DONE MANDY !!!!

I am currently organising a Paint the Town Pink for end of October, i have over 50 Businesses willing to pink up their premises (3 rural towns), and i plan to get my pink women planted arond town, i am also organising a pink night with our local health centre, for some fun and games, and they want me to talk a that, mmmm, so that will be interesting,  One of the girls from town had a Quilts in th Garden Mini field at the weekend, her mum has over 60 absolutely wonderful quilts she has made and put on show, and a devonshire tea.  i took some pics so will get them up here to let you all see them,  She done a great job. So Girls keep on going,  Also tis site networking is really working, its all so exciting. keep us updated on what everyone is doing.

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015

WELL DONE MANDY !!!!

I am currently organising a Paint the Town Pink for end of October, i have over 50 Businesses willing to pink up their premises (3 rural towns), and i plan to get my pink women planted arond town, i am also organising a pink night with our local health centre, for some fun and games, and they want me to talk a that, mmmm, so that will be interesting,  One of the girls from town had a Quilts in th Garden Mini field at the weekend, her mum has over 60 absolutely wonderful quilts she has made and put on show, and a devonshire tea.  i took some pics so will get them up here to let you all see them,  She done a great job. So Girls keep on going,  Also tis site networking is really working, its all so exciting. keep us updated on what everyone is doing.