Mindfulness meditation

Options
Steph Fletcher
Steph Fletcher Member Posts: 109
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Hope you are all having a wonderful week so far :)

I wanted to share that I recently started to go along to a guided meditation around the corner from home. To be honest, sitting in silence with just me and my thoughts was a little daunting.

Not that my mind isn't a pleasant, wild and interesting place to hang out but when I've just finished a big day at work. It's the pace of thoughts that has me vibrating.

I really like how Smiling Mind describes the impact mindful practice has on our brains. You can read it here.

And, you can read the full research article here.

The thing I love about meditation and mindfulness is that it can be done anywhere. Why don't you give it a go when you get home tonight.

Lay down a nice blanket, light a candle and put on some soft music. Feel entitled to take the time to relax and observe how your body is feeling and visualise writing down any concerns you have, tearing off the paper and throwing it away.

I hope this leaves you feeling lighter for having spent time with yourself and eliminating thoughts that serve no real purpose.

For those of you that are well versed at meditation, please share with us what you visualise to relax and let go :)

X Steph

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

I found meditation was a godsend to me throughout chemo, especially at night when it was difficult to sleep.  For years I have had a CD made by my yoga teacher, called Samadhi.  It runs for an hour, but Shanti's voice can talk me into a coma in 15 minutes.  (I have finally heard the end of the cd at last).  I haven't been to yoga for a few years, but have played Samadhi & Healing White Light until I have almost worn them out.  There is a description on www.shantiyoga.com.au if anyone wants to try it.  I agree that the effects are amazing. I still use both Cds regularly with a small player next to my bed.

xx Michelle

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have just received the November issue of Spirit newsletter of breast cancer Western Australia. The theme is Natural Therapy, on page 5 they have a great little section listing adio/visual resources that offer guided meditation, information and Qigong for health and wellbeing.

Click here to read more :)

X Steph

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have just received the November issue of Spirit newsletter of breast cancer Western Australia. The theme is Natural Therapy, on page 5 they have a great little section listing adio/visual resources that offer guided meditation, information and Qigong for health and wellbeing.

Click here to read more :)

X Steph