Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Starting Chemo next week

JillyC
JillyC Member Posts: 9
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer
My first diagnosis of Cancer was secondaries in the liver.
That was on 16/9. I have been through plenty of tests in the past month, u/s, CT, MRI, endoscopy and liver biopsy. I do know that my liver tumours have grown and multiplied between scans within 3 weeks of each other.
I have HER2 positive cancer in my left breast which is tiny but has spread aggressively in my liver.
I have my first oncologist appt. Monday and assume port will be put in midweek, then Chemo.
This has all come as a huge surprise to me, I have finished up work for now because I was a new employee and couldn't know what time off I was needing for tests then ongoing treatment which I believe will be aggressive (but not sure what this means yet). So sitting at home contemplating, coping most of the time but still scared.

Comments

• JillyC
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Jenny,
    Was feeling very alone in this, no real family history of cancer and everyone is very empathetic but can't possibly understand.
    I don't really understand much yet, have done so much research lately feeling a little overloaded.
    I am really pleased to hear you are well now. Were you feeling unwell when you were first diagnosed or how did your journey start?
    I have constant pain in my back and a feeling of being bloated and generally sore in the abdomen but I only went to my doctor to get a script refill. I had been diagnosed with Fybromyalgia about 15 years ago, had bilateral lumpectomy about 3 years ago but nothing suspicious in pathology and have been living with pain for years so didn't pay much attention to new pain. I was told at the hospital when I had lumpectomy that I had blood in my urine so followed up with GP. Had u/s and cystoscope but nothing found. Moved to Bundy and asked new GP ( locum) to do urine test to check, told him history and when he found blood he ordered an u/s same day. Called me in early the next day and told me they found liver mets. I've been on a roller coaster of tests ever since, so far seems to be only breast and liver thankfully.
  • jennyd
    jennyd Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015

Hi Jilly

I had no sign anything wasa amiss until I had what I thought was a gall bladder attack. Ultrasound showed liver was riddled with lesions and a liver biopsy scheduled. The day before that appointment I was back at the routine breast scan following up something they'd wanted to investigate. Two tiny tumours in the left breast found with ultrasound and biopsy. When I told them about the scheduled liver biopsy the head honcho talked with my gp and liver man and all concluded the liver was breast secondaries. A week later chemo started. I went back to work full time in 2011 and hated being stuck in front of a computer again and retired 2012. That year I had a lumpectomy and radiation. Am on herceptin 3 weekly. Am otherwise well other than age related aches and pains. My oncologist explained early on that this is a chronic condition which can be managed. But no one can say what the outcome may be. I organized all the things that were causing me anxiety - will, super, legals, family relationships etc as best I could early on. Life has settled down into a probably different normal.

Cheers 

Jenny

• KathleenT
    KathleenT Member Posts: 116
    edited March 2015
    Hi Jilly

What a trial for you! I could say "I know just hoyou feel", but I do and I don't. I totally understand your fear....biopsies, chemo etc, but luckily "if we look at it this way!), the most aggressive of my cancer was in my breast. Then they found some had spread to my sacrum. THAT biopsy was scary, as I was awake for it, just with local anesthetic. Lots of things go through your head...your family, how you'll cope, if the medicos are actually telling you absolutely everything. So those bits I totally get.

One thing I do know, this experience will make you stronger than you ever thought you were. Life takes on a real important "place" - you will find yourself valuing your reltionships more, doing things that perhaps you enjoyed in childhood, and most of all, learning how to be really positive.

Please keep in touch, welcome to this site, where together we can laugh together, cry together, share everything and vent, vent, VENT!

Thinking of you
    love and hugs
    Kathleen
    PS I started a group Anxiety and Depression, it's proving really good. Lots drop in and air lots of stuff xx
  • KathleenT
    KathleenT Member Posts: 116
    edited March 2015
    Hi Jilly

What a trial for you! I could say "I know just hoyou feel", but I do and I don't. I totally understand your fear....biopsies, chemo etc, but luckily "if we look at it this way!), the most aggressive of my cancer was in my breast. Then they found some had spread to my sacrum. THAT biopsy was scary, as I was awake for it, just with local anesthetic. Lots of things go through your head...your family, how you'll cope, if the medicos are actually telling you absolutely everything. So those bits I totally get.

One thing I do know, this experience will make you stronger than you ever thought you were. Life takes on a real important "place" - you will find yourself valuing your reltionships more, doing things that perhaps you enjoyed in childhood, and most of all, learning how to be really positive.

Please keep in touch, welcome to this site, where together we can laugh together, cry together, share everything and vent, vent, VENT!

Thinking of you
    love and hugs
    Kathleen
    PS I started a group Anxiety and Depression, it's proving really good. Lots drop in and air lots of stuff xx
  • JillyC
    edited March 2015
    Thank you Ladies,
    I guess the scariest thing at the moment is the lack of speed stating Chemo. Was diagnosed 16/9 and I know I have had lots of tests since then but at that time they were treating everything as urgent.
    Now that I have finally seen Onc, he's like 2 weeks till we can fit you in so still at least another week to go. It's very difficult on stress levels just wish something was happening rather than just waiting around. Feeling a little forgotten if you know what I mean.
    Appreciate the support from the group, thanks.
    JillyC.
  • Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

These Oncologists need a lesson in stress management of their bc patients.  They have no idea how confronting a diagnosis is then to have to wait for results, treatment etc is just too much.  Do you have any physical supports in the way of family/friends.  Once you have your plan you will feel so much more settled.  in the meantime, try and do all the things that make you feel happy and give you joy.  I was having my portacath flushed yesterday (it has not been used since June 2011 when I completed chemo for secondaries) and there was a female patient there receiving her chemo.  I thought how peaceful she was.  You will be the same and you will take the "time out" as a blessing.  It sounds weird but I found so much caring and peacefulness during my active treatment.  I send you best wishes to be able to find the inner strength to relax in the waiting game. XLeonie